Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front axke ?s

Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axke ?s

I'm at this point where I'm going to change out the front end of my jeep I'm running 40" tires and a 8" King coilover system and now it's time to beef up the front end. My question is what is the best way to go about choosing what Dana 44 to install I'm not wheeling it much so I don't need the 60 I've been looking at the terraflex 44 but you still need to buy all the inners workings with it. What's everyone's thoughts on this is it better to find a 44 and then artec it out to beef it up or is a full terraflex the way to go?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

I meant in the heading... Front axle??? But my fat fingers don't work well with this phone
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So what do you have for a front axle now? If you have a Dana 44 front now then there won't be much practicable difference by going to an aftermarket Dana 44... or even going from a Dana 30 for that matter. The ring & pinion size are the difference between a D30 and D44... same tubes, Cs, ball joints. Going to an aftermarket D44 will give you stronger tubes and Cs... you'll still be running the same ball joints and same axle shafts and same size ring & pinion as the OEM D44... and if you say you don't wheel it then you've wasted your money with the aftermarket D44. The parts that 40s will break are still the same. Not to mention the stress on your steering gearbox.

The whole idea of the D60 is to get the balljoints, axles shafts, and R&P sized to handle 40s. Should be running hydro assist with 40s to save the steering system as well.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 30 now and want to beef it up to be able to run the 40's safely without to much stress on anything. The terraflex has thicker shaft walls and the angle of the drive shaft is better then stock also the terraflex doesn't come with the inners so I would need to get axles and re gear it!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autograff323
I have a 30 now and want to beef it up to be able to run the 40's safely without to much stress on anything. The terraflex has thicker shaft walls and the angle of the drive shaft is better then stock also the terraflex doesn't come with the inners so I would need to get axles and re gear it!
So you have 8" coilovers and 40 tires on a d30? I think you may have won the internet.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

What's my prize! This jeep doesn't hit the trails it's really just for the kids they love the look and so do we
Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by autograff323
I have a 30 now and want to beef it up to be able to run the 40's safely without to much stress on anything.
You spent the money on coilovers and huge tires, why skimp on the axle? Running 40's and stock unit bearings, you are leaving a bunch of 'stress' in there...
Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

The shop I have it at didn't mention it to me they said because I'm not going off road with it in time I would need to change it out. Money isn't the issue just was hoping that the guys on this forum could give me advice on what front end would work for me
Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Since it is onroad only, (and you don't need 4wheel drive?), buy any of the empty aftermarket d44 housings and slap the ends on. No need for the front driveshaft/gears/axle shafts/etc. You'll still have the weak unit bearings, but you are ok with replacing them when needed.

For complete axles, you are looking at around 5k for these aftermarket 44's, personally i would pay a bit more and look at the Ultimate 60 or something similar instead. That would give you the extra strength for if/when you decide to start going offroad again.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

The gentlemen I bought my used Dynatrac prorock 44 unlimited from ran some 40's on it for a while and it's still perfectly straight. Ball joints and bearings all in good condition too and wheeled it pretty good in the North East.

If you don't need/want to beef it up too much you can build a full assembly prorock 44 re-using your stock knuckles and an open diff for under $4k.

Quick Reply: Front axke ?s