Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Frankenlift or RK? With EVO coils...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenlift or RK? With EVO coils...

I have a 2012 JKU and cant decide how I should lift. I have read a few post about NOT piecing kits together because you always find out there was something you missed. After reading some of those I think I have narrowed it down but not sure how to go. I have heard nothing but good things about RK which is why I decided to that route. The kicker to all of this is I want to use 3" EVO plush ride coils. everything I have read about them pushes me that way. I don't do any hardcore crawling, mostly trails that I have seen rigs with BB and 33's handle. I will run 35's and probably trim my flares and I don't like a lot of wheel well showing. Enough to stuff, but not much more. I am looking into the ebay knock-offs of the Smitty built XRC front and rear bumpers to give you an idea of added weight. I limited to RK because they were the cheapest kits for what I wanted out of them.

So with that said I have two questions.

1. Should I piece my lift together around the coils? From what I found I would probably us RK adjustable control arms (front and rear lowers) and probably Currie for the disco's and track bars. Any other suggestions welcome here. I am looking for cheaper, but quality still matters.

2. I can get a JK kit, buy the EVO's and sell the JK coils. If I do that I am torn on which kit to order. The 3.5 Flex and the 2.5 Max travel seem to have the same parts with the differences being the coil length and the mid vs short arms. I have read through alot of the forums about mid vs short and the differences between the two.

Right now I am leaning towards RK 2.5 Max Travel with 3" EVO coils. I chose 3" instead of 4 because (from what I read) EVO is closest to true length and they account for settling in their measurements.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tatrhed
I have a 2012 JKU and cant decide how I should lift. I have read a few post about NOT piecing kits together because you always find out there was something you missed. After reading some of those I think I have narrowed it down but not sure how to go. I have heard nothing but good things about RK which is why I decided to that route. The kicker to all of this is I want to use 3" EVO plush ride coils. everything I have read about them pushes me that way. I don't do any hardcore crawling, mostly trails that I have seen rigs with BB and 33's handle. I will run 35's and probably trim my flares and I don't like a lot of wheel well showing. Enough to stuff, but not much more. I am looking into the ebay knock-offs of the Smitty built XRC front and rear bumpers to give you an idea of added weight. I limited to RK because they were the cheapest kits for what I wanted out of them.

So with that said I have two questions.

1. Should I piece my lift together around the coils? From what I found I would probably us RK adjustable control arms (front and rear lowers) and probably Currie for the disco's and track bars. Any other suggestions welcome here. I am looking for cheaper, but quality still matters.

2. I can get a JK kit, buy the EVO's and sell the JK coils. If I do that I am torn on which kit to order. The 3.5 Flex and the 2.5 Max travel seem to have the same parts with the differences being the coil length and the mid vs short arms. I have read through alot of the forums about mid vs short and the differences between the two.

Right now I am leaning towards RK 2.5 Max Travel with 3" EVO coils. I chose 3" instead of 4 because (from what I read) EVO is closest to true length and they account for settling in their measurements.

sounds great give us a call and we will sell you both the RK and the Evo springs.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not Ready to buy yet. Still saving. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. If I decide that route I will give you guys a call.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a frakenlift and Love it.. Rough country 4" flex arms, evo plush ride coils, king res shocks, Currie Antirock, teraflex drive shafts, teraflex monster track bars, my coils and shocks from my rough county kit I just kept, just in case.. I went with 4" spring due my Jeep being slight heavy, bumpers, winch, gas cans, my fat friends, and all my tools I carry.. My old coils just seemed to sag a little..

Last edited by moe jk; 02-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didnt even think about Rough Country. I had there lift on my TJ and it rode so rough. I know realize that was probably my springs and shocks. I would assume the fixed parts are about the same quality as RK and TF? Is this right?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pieced my lift together and it's killer. Being able to choose every little detail made for a lift that handles on road as good as it does off road. Lift consists of: EVO 3" plush, Fox, Rock Krawler, Currie, Clayton, Synergy, Tera Flex, and Full Traction. I started out with a cheap Rough Country 2.5 susp lift that was complete junk ( IMO of course). Only down side to franken lifts, it costs.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
I pieced my lift together and it's killer. Being able to choose every little detail made for a lift that handles on road as good as it does off road. Lift consists of: EVO 3" plush, Fox, Rock Krawler, Currie, Clayton, Synergy, Tera Flex, and Full Traction. I started out with a cheap Rough Country 2.5 susp lift that was complete junk ( IMO of course). Only down side to franken lifts, it costs.
I was thinking about piecing together to save money not spend more. Good to know. Was there more than the ride because of the coils (I'm assuming) you didn't like?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tatrhed
I was thinking about piecing together to save money not spend more. Good to know. Was there more than the ride because of the coils (I'm assuming) you didn't like?
Yes the RC coils began to sag so badly after 1 yr, two of the coil rings were actually sandwhiched touching each other on one of the coils. Yeah the ride couldn't of been worse, also the RC 2.2 shocks leaked very quickly. It really does seem great to piece your lift together as you get top notch parts and make sure you get every little thing you need to maintain a sweet on/off road ride. Is pricey though. If you're curious, I could list all that I installed to make my 3.5+" lift.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi

Depending on what brands you go with and how involved you want to go with making it a total complete lift, I'd think with some research you could put a good one together for an affordable price. If I went with a kit, I'd go to Rock Krawler hands down.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
Depending on what brands you go with and how involved you want to go with making it a total complete lift, I'd think with some research you could put a good one together for an affordable price. If I went with a kit, I'd go to Rock Krawler hands down.
How did the arms and track bars from the RC turn out? I was looking at the X-flex series that has all 8 arms, discos, and track bar and other hardware for a couple hundred more than 8 Currie arms. That was the biggest reason for me looking at kit and just selling the coils I got with the kit. From what I have found, biggest difference in all of the adjustable pieces are the joints. If this is the case, I dont want get back into an RC kit because I had to replace the lower arms in my TJ because the joints wore out. I am on a budget, but Ill save for a few extra months so I dont have to replace in a year. Learned my lesson the first time.

Quick Reply: Frankenlift or RK? With EVO coils...