Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Frankenlift idea... Will this AEV / RK / FOX combo work well together?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenlift idea... Will this AEV / RK / FOX combo work well together?

Alright, I'm very close to taking delivery of a new '13 JKUR, so I'm in the market for a solid 2.5" kit. I will be running Duratrac 315's on Level 8 Trackers (16x8.5 with 4.5" BS), and I will NOT have aftermarket bumpers, winch, or additional armor for quite some time. (In other words, I won't have extra weight to help lower the lift).

I have narrowed my selection down to the AEV DualSport or RK MaxTravel 2.5" kits -- and I'm seriously leaning toward the RK kit based on its adjustability and customer support; however, I am VERY concerned about the added lift that the RK coils are known for -- I simply do NOT want to mess with the exhaust or driveshafts any time soon (if ever!). It's extremely frustrating that the RK kits consistently provide 3" of lift, or more! (Why they even market it as a 2.5" kit is beyond me!?)

So, here's my "Frankenlift" idea:

-- RK 2.5" MaxTravel Kit (minus springs!)
-- AEV 2.5" coils (ALTERNATIVE: M-Cloak 2.5" coils, or...?)
-- Fox 2.0 IPF shocks
-- Bump stops

My questions are:
1. Does AEV sell their 2.5" springs separately? If so, how/where?
2. Is it possible to get the RK MaxTravel kit WITHOUT the springs at a reasonably adjusted price?
3. Will this combo even work well?
4. Am I missing any parts that are necessary for the AEV coils to work with the RK kit?
5. What size Fox 2.0 shocks would be recommended for this combo?

If at all possible, please don't turn this into another AEV vs. RK or RK vs. M-Cloak thread. I'd really like to see the discussion remain focused on the unique combination(s) of parts I listed above -- OR perhaps see suggestions for a different RK+other combination that solves the problem of the extra lift height that the RK coils are known for.

THANK YOU ahead of time for all of your expert advice!

-ph-

Last edited by palehorse; 09-24-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

You would have to place your order through a rep if you wanted to order without the springs.

I know a guy that ordered a RC lift and he didn't want their shocks so they took $100 off the package price.

Depending on the deal they give you without the springs, you MIGHT save money by ordering everything individually.

With your MC spring question. I know 1 person that has them. Super nice, long travel. He ordered the 3.5" and didn't give him more lift.

You can email the reps from each company and together you should get enough info to know if the set up is complete enough.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should really get the rk springs for the front cuz they are progressive rate and they will stretch like crazy giving u more flex
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob-o
You should really get the rk springs for the front cuz they are progressive rate and they will stretch like crazy giving u more flex
The MC dual-rate springs are known to stretch as well. In fact, some believe they're just as effective as progressive springs without as much potential for sag. If their ride heights are consistently closer to an actual 2.5" on 4dr installs, I might just try this with their springs. I'm planning to speak to their engineer today to ask about the average ride heights on their 2.5" 4dr springs...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Not sure if you also looked into this, but TF has 3" 2 door springs, that on a 4 door are supposed to yield 2.5". If they still yield too much, maybe 2.5" 2 door springs and they might be in your height range.

Why are you not wanting an exhaust spacer? It's cheap insurance for the front DS, and not too difficult to install. Same as trimming rear pinch seams.

PS. They sell as a 2.5" lift to abide by certain state an country laws. Some areas you can not have your vehicle lifted more than 2.5", so with a product that yields slightly more, they get a wider customer base for people wanting 3" lifts that can't buy and put them on legally.

Last edited by Delux2769; 09-25-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by palehorse
The MC dual-rate springs are known to stretch as well. In fact, some believe they're just as effective as progressive springs without as much potential for sag. If their ride heights are consistently closer to an actual 2.5" on 4dr installs, I might just try this with their springs. I'm planning to speak to their engineer today to ask about the average ride heights on their 2.5" 4dr springs...
I'm extremely interested in this idea as I was considering doing something similar. Though, I was leaning toward the 3.5" spring to go with my own Frankenlift on my Gecko JKUR that is set for delivery next week.

I like the idea of a dual rate spring much more than a progressive since the majority of the miles being driven are on the street and a progressive spring just makes for a rougher ride.

Last edited by stanman; 09-25-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run a AEV/RK franken lift too. AEV 3.5 springs with AEV tuned bilstein shocks and the rock krawler x-factor. If you go with the AEV springs I would run the AEV shocks. You should always run shocks and springs that are tuned together. AEV springs are progressive also and tuned for the extreme end of digressive shock valving. So I dont know what the fox shocks would do may be ok or they will fight each other.

I’m very happy with my set up, the AEV ride with rock krawlers strength.

Last edited by jboss; 09-25-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jboss
I run a AEV/RK franken lift too. AEV 3.5 springs with AEV tuned bilstein shocks and the rock krawler x-factor. If you go with the AEV springs I would run the AEV shocks. You should always run shocks and springs that are tuned together. AEV springs are progressive also and tuned for the lower end of digressive shock valving. So I dont know what the fox shocks would do may be ok or they will fight each other.

I’m very happy with my set up, the AEV ride with rock krawlers strength.
How/where did you buy the AEV shocks and springs separately? Directly from AEV?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by palehorse
How/where did you buy the AEV shocks and springs separately? Directly from AEV?
Yes. There not on the web site but just call them.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

What does lower end of digressive calving mean?
Fox shocks are linear.

Originally Posted by jboss
AEV springs are progressive also and tuned for the lower end of digressive shock valving.

Quick Reply: Frankenlift idea... Will this AEV / RK / FOX combo work well together?