Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Frame Questions

Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Questions

Alright so I am pondering wether or not I can cut this off without any complications so I thought I would check here to see if anyone else has done it or has suggestions. Alright so I am not sure what this piece is called but I have plenty of pictures.

As you can tell its been beat up pretty bad and well is now pushing against my E-Disco which after it dies will be replaced with a true sway bar. The question is can I cut it off without any problems, I wouldn't imagine its provide to much support since it bent up so easily. As far as I can tell it houses fog light wiring and thats it, its not an anchor point for anything. What do you guys think? Cut it off and leave it, cut it off and get another if I can find one to weld on?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

ehh it gets pretty serious when you start messin with frame crossmembers and stuff, but if its not doing much like you said then its up to you, but if it was me making the call id leave it my 2cents
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

It's called a compatibility beam. It's there to match the height of smaller vehicles' bumpers. (Probably just a legal thing for the manufacturer to have to comply with.)

I would leave it on unless there is a benefit to taking it off.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of people have cut it off when chopping the frame back for better approach angles.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's called a compatibility beam. It's there to match the height of smaller vehicles' bumpers. (Probably just a legal thing for the manufacturer to have to comply with.)

I would leave it on unless there is a benefit to taking it off.
Thank you! I finally have a name for it, right now its just a pain in the A$$ getting around it when installing the bumper and that its smashing into the E-Disco which has started to crack the harness for it. Looking at all my options before I do anything hasty.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Cool

I'll be cutting mine off shortly, when you have and aftermarket bumper installed there is plenty of strength with out it. Also it improves your approach angle and improves ground clearance. I'll be making a new skid plate that reflects the new ground clearance while protecting the E-disco.

Originally Posted by RckyMtnGoat
Thank you! I finally have a name for it, right now its just a pain in the A$$ getting around it when installing the bumper and that its smashing into the E-Disco which has started to crack the harness for it. Looking at all my options before I do anything hasty.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Alot of people have cut it off when chopping the frame back for better approach angles.
Have you been lookin at my album and post,,,, On a different note, Chop that stuff off of there, you dont need it,,,, I did this weeks after I bought the thing,, check out my albums for the frame chop,,

Quick Reply: Frame Questions