Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fox Steering Stabilizer

Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Steering Stabilizer

So i installed my new fox steering stabilizer a littler before x-mas and it looks great =D nice big and beefy...

The problem is since i installed it my jeep has been pulling really hard to the left... Im thinking maybe i need to release some of the pressure? I already had my tire pressure all topped off, got it aligned, aligned my steering wheel. Everything is good to go but it still pulls...

How can i release a little pressure? i think i remember reading about it somewhere else but i tried the good-oll search button and it got me nowhere :P

anyone got any suggestions
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

honestly, i have no idea why someone would have thought that pressurizing a steering stablizer would be a good idea. maybe if you hade two steering stabilizers pushing in opposite directions, i could see this but by installing just one, of course you are going to be pulling to the left because the steering stabilizer is constantly wanting to extend itself. this is why a factory steering stabilizer is a hydro shock. essentially, it sits static until it gets pushed or pulled and responds to the forces accordingly. of the people i know that are running fox steering stabilzers, most have either let all the pressure out or dropped it way down - that is the only way to fix your pull.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, i have no idea why someone would have thought that pressurizing a steering stablizer would be a good idea. maybe if you hade two steering stabilizers pushing in opposite directions, i could see this but by installing just one, of course you are going to be pulling to the left because the steering stabilizer is constantly wanting to extend itself. this is why a factory steering stabilizer is a hydro shock. essentially, it sits static until it gets pushed or pulled and responds to the forces accordingly. of the people i know that are running fox steering stabilzers, most have either let all the pressure out or dropped it way down - that is the only way to fix your pull.
well that would make sense :P Im starting to think i just want to take the stupid thing off. It honestly made no difference except in a bad way. How can i depressurize it? and is it worth it? or should i just get a rough country dual steering stab pack :P

thanks for the quick very insightful response eddie
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by P Nasty
well that would make sense :P Im starting to think i just want to take the stupid thing off. It honestly made no difference except in a bad way. How can i depressurize it? and is it worth it? or should i just get a rough country dual steering stab pack :P

thanks for the quick very insightful response eddie
unfortuantely, one of the supposed big selling point of the fox ss is that it is pressurized. unfortunately, the only way to really make it work for you is to let the pressure out. doing so will still allow you to use it without any problems. to let out the pressure, there should be a schrader valve on it somewhere and you can release the pressure like you are letting out air out of a tire.

as far as steering stabilzers in general go, so long as you have your suspension and steering components dialed it, you technically don't even need one so, i'd say save your money and just use what you have now minus the pressure.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

unfortuantely, one of the supposed big selling point of the fox ss is that it is pressurized. unfortunately, the only way to really make it work for you is to let the pressure out. doing so will still allow you to use it without any problems. to let out the pressure, there should be a schrader valve on it somewhere and you can release the pressure like you are letting out air out of a tire.

as far as steering stabilzers in general go, so long as you have your suspension and steering components dialed it, you technically don't even need one so, i'd say save your money and just use what you have now minus the pressure.
I just spoke to my step dad and he said he dented his all up on his YJ so he is thinking he will just put it on his YJ and i am gonna get the 6' rough country kit so that i can have new dual steering stabilizers and i need control arms anyway. I gotta look into more anyway...

Well i guess i can say i regret buying a part for my jeep for once :P Stupid fox and stupid waste of money
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

to let out the pressure, there should be a schrader valve on it somewhere and you can release the pressure like you are letting out air out of a tire.
Might want to let the guy know he really needs to use a fill adapter to do that safely. Just saying.....
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnag
Might want to let the guy know he really needs to use a fill adapter to do that safely. Just saying.....
what could go wrong without doing such?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damned if that Fox isn't just a "little bit" of overkill.

The valve is on the mount or non-rod end. It's just like a tire valve and don't put your face in front of it when you discharge it.

I hit it and poof, it was instantaneously de-pressurized. They do like to be centered so take some time with adjusting it. I also found I needed to recenter my steering wheel once I put it in.

On the plus side, it hasn't broken yet. Me and the Jeep had been having a time with tires and steering stabilizers.

Last edited by seer1; 01-26-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by P Nasty
what could go wrong without doing such?
Real easy to blow off all that pressure, something you can control with a fill adapter. And if you do empty it, for goodness sakes don't fill it with CO2.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's empty and it still has more than enough push. I replaced my tie rod last weekend and put the Fox back on a little off center. It's definitely trying to push me to the right. I'm going back under to readjust everything again on Saturday. I was in too much of a hurry first time through.

Quick Reply: Fox Steering Stabilizer