Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fox/King shocks???

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwapache
Uhhh....if you don't want to spend the coin on coil overs, why spend the coin on shocks that only benefit you if you're racing around at high speeds off road?
Yeah, the Kings are sweet, but unless you really plan to use them, I don't see the point of going that route unless your wallet is burning a hole in your pocket. I'm content with Fox and Bilstein, both make good shocks
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
Kings as the best but not cheap...

Looks like you priced out the reservoir with Compressor adjuster. You can get Kings without compressor adjusters or reservoirs to save some cash.
Off Road Evolution, King Shocks

All King Shocks listed on our site come with EVO Spec Valving
I mean I've said it a thousand times, ill say it again. Go king or go home. Throw the crown up.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Kings and their worth every penny. The jeep rides better then any other jeep ive been in, people tend to cheap out when it comes to shocks but i think they make a huge difference when it comes to how a jeep performs on and off road. So its money well spent if you ask me.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd check out the Bilstein 7100's, and they are a little bit cheaper than the Fox's as well. The 7100's are valved to your specs and are rebuildable.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
OK so I can't justify spending $5k on coilovers, so I decided I'm going with the dual res shocks.... I know both fox and king are great brands and haven't decided which brand I want but I'm leaning towards the Fox..... What is ur experience with these shocks? Got any pics? What are some of the prices u all paid? What size lift and tires are u running with those shocks?
I'll put it this way: The King are even better than Fox -- and the Fox are terrific.
My personal view is that the Fox is so good, that King would be an overkill.

They are definitely not just for races. I have Fox with reservoirs, and I have friends
with either Fox or King, and we like them a lot.

Notice that both have a model with knobs which allow you to tweak some 8 degrees of
softness/hardness within a few minutes.
This allows real comfort on the road or easy trails, and more firmness when the trail
asks for it, or if you like to sprint.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Junkie

Shocks, from the cheapest to the most expansive, if they are valved the same and with
the same coils, will feel the same -- when new, and cold.
The difference starts when one shock lives longer and warms less than another.

I know that, in the US, Bilstein are very popular, but both Fox and King are on another league.

After many hours in desert temperatures in the summer, including crawling and sprints,
my Fox shocks perform like I just started the engine in the morning.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-29-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubicon7879
I have the Kings and their worth every penny. The jeep rides better then any other jeep ive been in, people tend to cheap out when it comes to shocks but i think they make a huge difference when it comes to how a jeep performs on and off road. So its money well spent if you ask me.
So me having cheap shocks now. And upgrading to kings would give me back my factory ride or somewhat close. Right now it's like bricks
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys.... I appreciate ur input now I gotta make an educated decision....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fusco10
So me having cheap shocks now. And upgrading to kings would give me back my factory ride or somewhat close. Right now it's like bricks
I didnt say that, I dont know what your set up is, but ride quality is affected in one way or another by almost ever part of the suspension. I can tell you that between my EVO Double D long arm kit and Kings my jeep rides and handles great. Id say its very close to riding like stock.

But buying shocks that have been tuned to your vehicle can make a huge difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fusco10
It's how the shock is valved, not its price.

Quick Reply: Fox/King shocks???