Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FOX ATS Warning!

Old 02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hair2831
People without one just don't understand. This ss can't possibly be any better than the OEM unit. No way, no how. Waste of money. Amirite?

Did Erik Miller, former KOH Champion, just f!*&in lie to me? Granted he's sponsored by FOX but did that sumb**ch just lie to me?

Ok. Now I'm pi$$ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbtsr353kE8
Old 02-08-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Out of curiosity, can someone please explain how the steering stabilizer keeps you in your lane on a windy day? Serious question
Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by D_engel
Out of curiosity, can someone please explain how the steering stabilizer keeps you in your lane on a windy day? Serious question
Quickly using Quadratec/Fox/Synergy as a point of reference....

Synergy Manufacturing Tuned Fox Racing Steering Stabilizer Kit for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

"A steering stabilizer is a dampening shock for your steering system. It dampens out the harshness of the highway, the shimmy' from running the additional weight of larger tires & wheels and places control back into the driver's hands. Stabilizers also reduce the fatigue of the driver on a personal level by reducing the amount of physical strength it takes to guide those larger tires on and off the road."

When you have gusty wind conditions, you are having to consistently keep your rig to track straight. If you get shimmy alone from just the larger tires/higher lift and/or crappy roads, the wind just compounds it. If you have a "flighty" steering wheel it's even worse. It causes driver fatigue especially for high and/or lifted vehicles. It plain out sucks. Gets real old real fast.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi

Just admit it d engel were idiots with no experience. Steering stabilizers will change lives in ways we will never comprehend...
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Maertz
Just admit it d engel were idiots with no experience. Steering stabilizers will change lives in ways we will never comprehend...
For the record, I'm not calling you guys idiots. I know how/when to pick my fights

Plus no reason too. You acknowledged that for a DD (at least this is what I was assuming when you stated "Way overpriced for what it does imo but most also wont need hydro assist") hydro-assist didn't make sense to which I agree.

For a primary DD (in my case) that is built-up to be even more capable off-road when I need it to be, the ATS has exceeded my expectations.

Until someone else comes out with an adjustable SS (single or dual setup) and is not hydro-assist AND is specifically made for the JK, then the price paid for the ATS is justified IMO. $355-$380 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind and the much less driver fatigue I now get. As of right now, there's nothing on Quadratec's list that comes close.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...ampeners&c=112

Superlift's dual kit is next in line @ $290 when sorting by price. Nah, I'll pass.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

To me, it seems that the steering stabilizer would make driving in windy conditions worse. Obviously you "could" lock your steering wheel in the center position and it will still get blown around by the wind, so its not going to help you track straight. By adding a stabilizer, you are effectively slowing your steering input, so you will need to add more steering angle to get the same quick steering correction. In my head, it seems that this would cause you to over correct your steering, and when paired with the slower return to center, you would end up sawing the wheel back and forth to maintain your lane. Idk, maybe I just don't get the wind argument.

And for what its worth, I had driven my jeep on both 35's and 37's for about a year with no SS. I've taken several trips to California that way and managed to get through Palm Springs (there are wind farms there for a reason) without issue. I preferred the quick steering over even the factory stabilizer. Maybe Maertz is right. I should probably just hang back and let you guys figure this all out.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

To me, it seems that the steering stabilizer would make driving in windy conditions worse. Obviously you "could" lock your steering wheel in the center position and it will still get blown around by the wind, so its not going to help you track straight. By adding a stabilizer, you are effectively slowing your steering input, so you will need to add more steering angle to get the same quick steering correction. In my head, it seems that this would cause you to over correct your steering, and when paired with the slower return to center, you would end up sawing the wheel back and forth to maintain your lane. Idk, maybe I just don't get the wind argument.

And for what its worth, I had driven my jeep on both 35's and 37's for about a year with no SS. I've taken several trips to California that way and managed to get through Palm Springs (there are wind farms there for a reason) without issue. I preferred the quick steering over even the factory stabilizer. Maybe Maertz is right. I should probably just hang back and let you guys figure this all out.
I will only speak for my usage and I can say that since installing the ATS, steering corrections made by me are less frequent and thus less tiring. Off-road I can set the ATS at 1 click. Back on the highway set it to anything over 14 OR I can keep it at 1 if I wanted to.

Others here that are using the ATS have felt the difference and it isn't some "feeling" on the "butt-meter" like you get with the install of a CAI LOL.

I won't speak on hydro-assist because I don't have it. So having said that, there is nothing that can be installed that will allow your JK to hold a line 100% of the time. You will have to correct no matter what. The real question is how often are you correcting it (=FREQUENCY) and by how much are you having to correct it (=AMPLITUDE)? If you have a "flighty" or "loose" steering wheel then the angle of correction is more and/or the frequency to correct is more = more muscle fatigue. It's not only muscle fatigue, it is also mental fatigue.

For example, most everyone owns a computer. How about using your work computer since that'll be our "daily driver" or if your line of work doesn't require daily usage of a computer, let's use your personal computer. Let's attach a traditional mouse to it. To setup for AMPLITUDE parameters, now lets play with the settings so you have to move the mouse 6 inches in any direction on your desk in order for the cursor to move 1 inch in the same direction on your computer screen. Now keep it at that setting for not 3 or 2 years straight, but how about just 1 month?

Now let's adjust for FREQUENCY. For the first week, make sure to use the computer and the mouse actively at least 10 mins straight per day. 2nd week, bump it up to 30 mins. 3rd week, 60 mins. 4th week, 120 mins straight per day. Let's see how old that gets.

If an SS isn't needed, why would Jeep keep it for the JK?

I mean they already cut corners for the flimsy control arm & trackbar brackets. Why not add to the bottom line more by doing away with the SS completely? If we want to point fingers, then let's point them back to the JK Engineers @ Chrysler. Why did they insist on leaving it on all these years?

My good friend Einstein aka GJeep says he wouldn't drive without a SS ("Though I don't agree with having no SS....") which miraculously is something we actually agree on so maybe he'll add further input as to why he doesn't agree to having no SS installed.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-10-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The Bilstein ss is pressurized. It is the only one I know of that is and will push the steering to one side.
Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
the fox 2.0 I put on would extend fully with pressure. I could compress it by hand and it would drive the piston right back out. Simple test to determine if it is pressurized?
It's not only Bilstein SS and Fox that do this. Some others...

PRO-STEERING-DAMPER - 2007-UP JEEP WRANGLER | eibach.com/america

RS7000®MT Steering Stabilizers - Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks
4x4 Parts - Hardbody Steering Stabilizer Kit with Rancho RS7000MT Shock SPRL7000MTPF - Your #1 Source for Nissan Aftermarket Parts!
- the main thing to take note of on the 2nd link....."Has slight push similar to Bilstein steering stabilizers..."
Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by D_engel

To me, it seems that the steering stabilizer would make driving in windy conditions worse. Obviously you "could" lock your steering wheel in the center position and it will still get blown around by the wind, so its not going to help you track straight.

By adding a stabilizer, you are effectively slowing your steering input, so you will need to add more steering angle to get the same quick steering correction. In my head, it seems that this would cause you to over correct your steering, and when paired with the slower return to center, you would end up sawing the wheel back and forth to maintain your lane. Idk, maybe I just don't get the wind argument.
Yes, it sometimes helps to pull case to its extremes, and check what happens.

The adjustable ATS is on a theoretical continuum of zero to maximum resistance.

At one extreme of the continuum the SS resistance is zero, in which case the SS, of course, does nothing regarding wind-caused direction change.

At the other extreme of the continuum, the resistance to steering rotation so high, that the steering is locked.
In this case, not only the SS does nothing to correct the change of direction, it prevents the driver from doing it.

So, beginning at one edge of the continuum and going along it to the other edge -- regarding wind gusts -- the SS goes from doing nothing to doing nothing, except for making the steering increasingly harder.

When adjusted like it should, it acts as a shock absorber which is not felt, or lightly felt.

I’ll probably install a ATS someday. It has its benefits, but correcting for wind gusts is not one of them.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By DJ1
I will only speak for my usage and I can say that since installing the ATS, steering corrections made by me are less frequent and thus less tiring.

Yes, your steering corrections are less frequent.
This happened by introducing more resistance to steering rotation. If you don’t feel it, then you don’t, but it’s there. That’s what the ATS does, more and more so, the higher the setting is.

In my Jeep, too, the frequent steering correction are almost completely gone, be it on a highway, a bad road or offroad. I have a regular one-piston SS which is not driver-adjustable.
I solved the issue at its source, by installing a CRC Link.

Earlier today, I drove through a rural region, between and through villages. Parts of the road were pitted. Inside villages, there were many speed bumps.
This thread popped into my mind, so I lightly held the steering with 3~4 fingers. Not one pit or speed bump rotated the steering wheel. There was little traffic, so I crossed a few speed bumps as diagonally as was possible, up to 45 degrees – zero bump steer. That’s on 4” lift and 35”s.
This is the way to do it – by solving the issue, and not by masking it and ending up with a harder steering.

Off-road I can set the ATS at 1 click. Back on the highway set it to anything over 14 OR I can keep it at 1 if I wanted to.
Out of curiosity – Is that how you would adjust the ATS -- low setting for offroad and high setting for road? Why?

Quick Reply: FOX ATS Warning!