Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FOX ATS Warning!

Old 02-08-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
On my Bilstein Steering Stabilizer it pushes out on it's own. Not sure what you're talking about.
Some air in there may be momentarily compressed. Keep it compressed, wait a little bit for the pressure to equalize on both sides of the piston, and it'll stay put.
If there's some momentary air compression, the pressure is too low and too brief to meaningfully change the steering feel.

Think about this: If the SS was supposed to constantly push out, then it would have constantly rotated the steering wheel to one side... contradicting its very function -- stabilizing.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-08-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

This is a typical construction of a steering stabilizer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	STEERING STABILIZER diagram.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	595870

As can be seen, the piston is inert. Only an external force (rotating the steering wheel or a pressure that turns the front wheels sideways) can cause the piston to move.

Knob 'E' controls the area of the small orifice(s), which determines the amount of resistance to piston movement.
Adjusting it to higher resistance to oil flow, makes it harder to rotate the steering wheel.

The spring you see, pressurizes the oil. The reason for it is to allow oil expansion if/when the oil gets warmer. This spring creates equal pressure on both sides of the piston, so it cannot cause piston movement.
This may be falsely interpreted as 'more steering feel'. In fact, a harder SS masks some the feel of what each of the wheels is doing. The harder feel is misleading.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-08-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Some air in there may be momentarily compressed. Keep it compressed, wait a little bit for the pressure to equalize on both sides of the piston, and it'll stay put.
If there's some momentary air compression, the pressure is too low and too brief to meaningfully change the steering feel.

Think about this: If the SS was supposed to constantly push out, then it would have constantly rotated the steering wheel to one side... contradicting its very function -- stabilizing.
The Bilstein ss is pressurized. It is the only one I know of that is and will push the steering to one side.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The Bilstein ss is pressurized. It is the only one I know of that is and will push the steering to one side.
the fox 2.0 I put on would extend fully with pressure. I could compress it by hand and it would drive the piston right back out. Simple test to determine if it is pressurized?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
the fox 2.0 I put on would extend fully with pressure. I could compress it by hand and it would drive the piston right back out. Simple test to determine if it is pressurized?
Boom!

DJ1 = 1 ; GJeep = 0

Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

I've never had or driven a Bilstein SS. If it's made to push the steering to one side, then it seems to contradict the way a SS should behave.
The pressure should be the same on either side of the piston.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-08-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i hear that !

Originally Posted by FDHog
Cut it off with a grinding wheel.

I paid $355 for my ATS.

As soon as FOX sends it back to me, it's going back on.
As far as salt on the roads, It might not be as bad here as in NH, but when I took mine off, it showed no signs of corrosion.
Nothing a little douche from a hose wouldn't cure.

For my 2 door, this was one of my best mods.
Brand new before my lift, my JK handled like crap when hitting potholes on turns at 50+mph. It would almost change direction.
Same roads, and with a 2.5" RK lift (more like 3"), 35's, and the ATS, it holds the line in turns.
All these guys that talk about bump steer and how a SS is useless, are talking about straight roads with potholes. Try driving on some of the roads in NYC at 40-50 mph in a 2 door without a steering stab. Good Luck!
FDHog your 2 door looks Great btw ( Biased to the 2 door vs 4 anyway)

As you know NH roads are riddled with bumps from frost heaves and potholes too . Thats why im going with one in the early spring if the snow ever leaves the area could be May before the snow goes . Been wanting one of these shocks for for a bit, so time to have one on there .

jeepstin12 ) had great reviews with the ats i think some time back in conversation & i just put it on the backburner due to other expenses . Time to get it done .

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-08-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Boom!

DJ1 = 1 ; GJeep = 0

I'm not in any competition...

I wouldn't install a SS that will push my steering wheel to one side... I'd install a SS that functions like a SS should.
I wouldn't correct bump steer by adjusting a SS to make the steering hard... I'd solve the issue, so I'd have no bump steer even with the SS removed.
I have a 4" lifted 4-dr on 35"s, and have no bump steer, with a plain Fox SS, not the ATS.
The only reason why I have the Fox SS, and not the stock one, is that I got it for free with the lift.
The built-in lack of directional stability of Wranglers (and of any vehicle with live axle suspension), was solved by replacing the rear radius arm with Full Traction CRC Link. Light fingers on the steering wheel is all it takes, no constant corrections needed even on bad roads.
I've driven a 2-dr with it, and the effect was even more prominent.

I also wouldn't scratch my left ear with my right hand over the head... or inflate the tires to 36psi, to get sharper steering... But, to each his own...

Last edited by GJeep; 02-08-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I've never had or driven a Bilstein SS. If it's made to push the steering to one side, then it seems to contradict the way a SS should behave.
The pressure should be the same on either side of the piston.
It is not a lot of pressure and should not be enough to affect jeeps that have proper caster. The nitrogen charge is there to keep the oil from captivating when the oil gets hot. I would not really recommend using one that is gas charged on a daily driver. They are made for the off road racer that will be heating up the shocks.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

It is not a lot of pressure and should not be enough to affect jeeps that have proper caster. The nitrogen charge is there to keep the oil from captivating when the oil gets hot. I would not really recommend using one that is gas charged on a daily driver. They are made for the off road racer that will be heating up the shocks.
OK, thanks.

Quick Reply: FOX ATS Warning!