Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FOX ATS Warning!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Yes, the Fox ATS is better than regular SS, because it is in fact 2 stabilizers in one body. This prevents the possibility of pulling to one side (which is rare).

Beyond that, I must say I don't really understand what you're talking about... A properly working SS is supposed to be 'transparent' -- we don't feel it. If everything at the front properly adjusted and torqued, one doesn't know if the SS is there, or removed.
A SS would mask steering problems.
Only when there is a problem, a difference would be felt with/without a SS, and that's it's purpose: to prevent too much loss of steering control in case something fails.

Using a SS to make the steering feel different is not the way. The live axles, especially the rear one, move sideways when they move up or down -- that's what makes the constant, small steering changes and the constant, small steering corrections necessary.
There are solutions for this, from the Full Traction CRC Link to Rear Double Triangulated 4 Link Cross-member Kit -- all are suspension upgrades which have nothing to do with the SS.

The SS, like a shock absorber, poses resistance only. The piston rod does not move in or out on it's own. There's no spring in there, and no accumulated pressure, only an orifice that resists movement.
You said what I wanted to say but much more elegantly
Old 02-07-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I agree, people make way too much a deal about ss
Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I agree, people make way too much a deal about ss
I have to disagree with this. Every setup is different and in my case there was a huge difference in handling with the stocker vs my fox ats.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

A 50/50 shock that pushes fluid from one side of a piston to the other is all a ss is. Oil viscosity and valving size are the only differences you are going to find in a ss causing the steering to feel harder to turn or easier. Different jeeps or set ups really don't affect the steering stabilizer as to my knowledge they are all the same and not specific to lift size, weight of the jeep, or tire size. I bet if you asked 10 guys running this set up if steering feels easier or harder you would get about a 50/50 split in the answers.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default if this video is valid this guy posted

id say the fox ats is worth it. I dont get much drift but it appears the 2 doors are prone to it , in bumps i myself dont find it that bad but im not lifted either however i like the way the second video solved that twitch
in his steering. I have had winds push the jeep around.

Fox 2.0 Performance ATS Steering Stabilizer Review - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-07-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ATS and love it. I don't care what people say on forums. This thing is much better than the stock unit. My steering is much smoother with it. I find that most who talk trash about the Fox unit don't even have first hand experience with it, which makes their opinions useless.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed I love mine. I wasn't getting death wobble before I put it on but I was running without a stabilizer so I saw a huge change in how my front end reacted over bumps and crosswinds. When hitting bumps my steering would jerk and when in crosswinds it would want to serve. This thing basically kept me holding my line. I will be getting rid of it soon though cause I'm going hydro
Old 02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These threads baffle me.... How about spend 600 and go dual foxes! Id think thatd make it like hydro assist?!i think it may be the final piece we need in solving death wobble once and for all.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by GJeep

The SS, like a shock absorber, poses resistance only. The piston rod does not move in or out on it's own. There's no spring in there, and no accumulated pressure. There is no force inside the SS that can move the piston. There's only an orifice that resists movement.
On my Bilstein Steering Stabilizer it pushes out on it's own. Not sure what you're talking about.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by hair2831
I have the ATS and love it. I don't care what people say on forums. This thing is much better than the stock unit. My steering is much smoother with it. I find that most who talk trash about the Fox unit don't even have first hand experience with it, which makes their opinions useless.
Originally Posted by Monte417
Agreed I love mine. I wasn't getting death wobble before I put it on but I was running without a stabilizer so I saw a huge change in how my front end reacted over bumps and crosswinds. When hitting bumps my steering would jerk and when in crosswinds it would want to serve. This thing basically kept me holding my line. I will be getting rid of it soon though cause I'm going hydro
Exactly. It's funny how people talk smack about it without having used one. And I've done the stock, the OME, and the Biltstein. The ATS is staying unless I go to hydro. Drifting/pulling from crosswinds are gone and bump steer is gone. My shyt's tight now so I don't give a rats azz.

Masking or non-masking, anyone who wants to run without the steering stabilizer on for a daily driver that is a primary vehicle for 50k+ miles that's less than 3 years old, go ahead and be my guest. Walk the talk and post up a record/video log. Let's see how old that gets.

Quick Reply: FOX ATS Warning!