Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FOX ATS Warning!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
By DJ1
I will only speak for my usage and I can say that since installing the ATS, steering corrections made by me are less frequent and thus less tiring.

Yes, your steering corrections are less frequent.
This happened by introducing more resistance to steering rotation. If you don’t feel it, then you don’t, but it’s there. That’s what the ATS does, more and more so, the higher the setting is.

In my Jeep, too, the frequent steering correction are almost completely gone, be it on a highway, a bad road or offroad. I have a regular one-piston SS which is not driver-adjustable.
I solved the issue at its source, by installing a CRC Link.

Earlier today, I drove through a rural region, between and through villages. Parts of the road were pitted. Inside villages, there were many speed bumps.
This thread popped into my mind, so I lightly held the steering with 3~4 fingers. Not one pit or speed bump rotated the steering wheel. There was little traffic, so I crossed a few speed bumps as diagonally as was possible, up to 45 degrees – zero bump steer. That’s on 4” lift and 35”s.
This is the way to do it – by solving the issue, and not by masking it and ending up with a harder steering.

Off-road I can set the ATS at 1 click. Back on the highway set it to anything over 14 OR I can keep it at 1 if I wanted to.

Out of curiosity – Is that how you would adjust the ATS -- low setting for offroad and high setting for road? Why?
Am i assuming 1 is soft and 14 is stiffer? Heavy offroad users out here go full hydro or hydro assist. Either will go where you put it and hold true (more so on full hydro) . A s/s will not...either way i give up people can rock what they want and are entitled to there opinions.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Am i assuming 1 is soft and 14 is stiffer?
It doesn't matter, the point of my question to him was why set the ATS so differently for road or offroad.

Heavy offroad users out here go full hydro or hydro assist. Either will go where you put it and hold true (more so on full hydro) . A s/s will not...
...with the basic difference that having it "heavily assisted" by a ATS, makes the steering quite harder than a hydro or hydro assist would.

either way i give up people can rock what they want and are entitled to there opinions.
Yeah, but there are other readers.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-09-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

...with the basic difference that having it "heavily assisted" by a ATS, makes the steering quite harder than a hydro or hydro assist would.
I agree herem

Last edited by Maertz; 02-09-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM
DJ1
Former Member

By DJ1
I will only speak for my usage and I can say that since installing the ATS, steering corrections made by me are less frequent and thus less tiring.

Yes, your steering corrections are less frequent.
This happened by introducing more resistance to steering rotation. If you don’t feel it, then you don’t, but it’s there. That’s what the ATS does, more and more so, the higher the setting is.

In my Jeep, too, the frequent steering correction are almost completely gone, be it on a highway, a bad road or offroad. I have a regular one-piston SS which is not driver-adjustable.
I solved the issue at its source, by installing a CRC Link.

Earlier today, I drove through a rural region, between and through villages. Parts of the road were pitted. Inside villages, there were many speed bumps.
This thread popped into my mind, so I lightly held the steering with 3~4 fingers. Not one pit or speed bump rotated the steering wheel. There was little traffic, so I crossed a few speed bumps as diagonally as was possible, up to 45 degrees – zero bump steer. That’s on 4” lift and 35”s.
This is the way to do it – by solving the issue, and not by masking it and ending up with a harder steering.

Off-road I can set the ATS at 1 click. Back on the highway set it to anything over 14 OR I can keep it at 1 if I wanted to.
Out of curiosity – Is that how you would adjust the ATS -- low setting for offroad and high setting for road? Why?
I know it's there. Corrections are minimal because the ATS does a good job of damping the oscillations/shimmy. You drive with 3-4 fingers. I can drive with 2 fingers using my left hand while my left elbow rests outside the window.

CRC links are nice but some people hate them, others obviously like them. I'm not going to run a CRC link. Not for 2.5" of lift anyway.

For the speed bumps, these you travel over going at 10mph or at highway speeds? And you're crossing at 45 degrees? That's irrelevant to what happens to actual highway driving. You are going to drive straight over it at highway speed.

I'm not masking anything. I know what death wobble is. Anyone that has ridden a sport bike and has been through a tank slapper knows what death wobble is. Death wobble is not bump steer in my book. The technology behind the ATS is not much different to the steering dampers we use on our sport bikes (which I used to ride) and even for motocross (which I don't but I know many who have) to provide more control to the rider, eliminate tank slappers, and reduce fatigue over long distance that's more than a 10 minute trek to the grocery store @ 30-40mph.

ATS settings for me personally are going to be set higher on-road. The increase in damping will absorb the higher frequency of lateral oscillations at highway speeds. When you're crawling off-road you're going 5mph. You no longer have to worry/deal with it and I can keep the feedback to the steering wheel "looser" when having to work around tight corners / obstacles at that low crawling speed thus a setting at 1. I haven't tried it yet but that's what I plan on doing when I hit the Rubicon again & Fordyce trails this summer. If 1 is too loose, I'll adjust as needed. I've got 23 more clicks to play with.

I've never run the ATS higher than 16 clicks on the highway / DD. It currently sits at 16 but I may notch it back down to 14.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Maertz
Am i assuming 1 is soft and 14 is stiffer? Heavy offroad users out here go full hydro or hydro assist. Either will go where you put it and hold true (more so on full hydro) .
1 is soft but not 0 resistance. 12 is mid-way. 24 is the setting with the most resistance for the through-shaft to move left/right.

For a rig that's 85% DD and 15% off-road at the moment, the ATS fits my lifestyle perfectly and not only offers a better driving experience but does it at a reasonable price for a very fast install time.

I agree. Everybody is going to use their own $hit apparently but this isn't your typical run-of-the-mill SS. It allows flexibility to the owner using it and myself and the others that actually have it and are running it all seem to enjoy it. I've just got other things at the moment I'd rather focus on than spending $1k-$1300 for a hydro kit for a rig that currently doesn't get off-road as much due to other priorities and time constraints.

It serves a niche in the market for Jeep owners who are probably in the same bracket as I am and I'm sure that's many here versus Pirate. Primary DD and not running 37+ on 3/4 link suspensions and has the time to hit the rocks every weekend or even every other weekend. FOX did their homework on this one. Not just the SS itself but most importantly on the target market.

For the record, I'm not affiliated with FOX in any way. Had bought a few of their mountain bike clothes in the past but returned them all cause they were all made in China and the prices they were asking......ok now we can talk about ridiculous prices.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Fox ATS works so well I don't even know its there, but if it wasn't there, i'd know it.
No push, no pull, just nice firm steering.
I always love it when guys who don't run a piece of equipment have a bunch of negative crap to say about it.
I'm the one spending the money, so don't get your panties in a bunch.
Granted, I wasn't happy with it coming apart, but Fox is upholding their part of the bargain.
Works for me.

BTW DJ, I have the same experience with Harley clothing. All their crap is now made in China. I have one old Leather Jacket and vest that were made here, but no more.

Last edited by FDHog; 02-09-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by FDHog
BTW DJ, I have the same experience with Harley clothing. All their crap is now made in China. I have one old Leather Jacket and vest that were made here, but no more.
I hear you man. Loud and clear. I'm part asian and even I can see how this country is getting raped. I get "made in the USA" whenever I can.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i have not had one issue with my harley

Originally Posted by FDHog
My Fox ATS works so well I don't even know its there, but if it wasn't there, i'd know it.
No push, no pull, just nice firm steering.
I always love it when guys who don't run a piece of equipment have a bunch of negative crap to say about it.
I'm the one spending the money, so don't get your panties in a bunch.
Granted, I wasn't happy with it coming apart, but Fox is upholding their part of the bargain.
Works for me.

never went in for a repair even . Wish my jeep was the same but it had issues in the past , hope there gone for good now. (buy USA) winter time its the jeep btw HD leather is from China made from Dog skin for those who dont know that
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1181 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	596142  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-13-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice ride Mojo. Here's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	More Shots 114.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	596170
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lol sweet another road king 12" bars ??

love the road king theres to many ferrings out there ill never get rid of mine
yeh I need to get a trailer for the jeep im thinkin just a 6 footer

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-13-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: FOX ATS Warning!