Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fox 2.0, Old Man Emu, or Bilstein 5100

Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fox. Hands down the best and serviceable. I have used fox on many different off road vehicles and you can't go wrong with them. Great ride and adjustable.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Advertising to the contrary, the Bilstein 5100s were not designed for proper mechanical fit in the JK. Specifically, you'll probably find you have to trim some plastic in order to tighten down the top stud on the front passenger shock. I've seen two instances where the owner did not do that and the shock came loose when the nut backed off the stud. If you do decide to go with them, be sure that front passenger shock top stud is properly tightened. If you have a shop do the work, ask them exactly how they did it, and inspect their work. It's easy to snug it up. It's nigh impossible to torque it properly unless you remove some plastic.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Advertising to the contrary, the Bilstein 5100s were not designed for proper mechanical fit in the JK. Specifically, you'll probably find you have to trim some plastic in order to tighten down the top stud on the front passenger shock. I've seen two instances where the owner did not do that and the shock came loose when the nut backed off the stud. If you do decide to go with them, be sure that front passenger shock top stud is properly tightened. If you have a shop do the work, ask them exactly how they did it, and inspect their work. It's easy to snug it up. It's nigh impossible to torque it properly unless you remove some plastic.
I must be special as I have done a dozen or so and never had an issue. You tighten the nut until the bushing bulges it is a a lock nut. Never had one come loose. cut off Allen wrench and ratchet style box end wrench and it is easy peasy. and I have big mitts as well. What I have found is many people who are having trouble with them is because they are putting the steel washers on upside down so they don't have room to get the nut started on the stud.

Last edited by jadmt; 10-21-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
thanks for the suggestion. I’m running metal liners so trimming plastic won’t be an issue. I’ll take these off when I do the install.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
how about some Falcon 2.1 sports? I love my Falcon3.1's I get no body sway on road driving fast yet they feel great offroad had them to Moab twice and getting ready to go again.
looked at the Falcons, not sure I like how they mount.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
looked at the Falcons, not sure I like how they mount.
I have been offroad many times with mine in big rocks in the last 2 years and 29,000 miles and never had an issue. I actually just installed another set yesterday for someone and kind of marvel at the front shock's design, well thought out and super easy to install.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've run the TF 9500s, Billy 5100s and since 2012 the Fox 2.0 resis. The Fox are best by far.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the input. Ended up going with the Fox. These are a good bit stiffer than the TF I was running, which still have some life to them.

Quick Reply: Fox 2.0, Old Man Emu, or Bilstein 5100