Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Found a used lift on CL and need some opinions

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by SporticonJKU
Yeaa..... I feel pretty dumb for even bringing this to the boards now.
No need to feel dumb.....there's a learning curve to all this stuff.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

-I'm thinking I need bump stops ...
Learning curve is right. There's so much going on that it gets easy to miss stuff. Note the black bits on the ends of the shock shafts. RC puts little bumpstops on there, maybe it keeps the costs down? Anyway, that's why additional bumpstops were not included as part of that awesome craigslist lift deal.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Learning curve is right. There's so much going on that it gets easy to miss stuff. Note the black bits on the ends of the shock shafts. RC puts little bumpstops on there, maybe it keeps the costs down? Anyway, that's why additional bumpstops were not included as part of that awesome craigslist lift deal.

The reason for those is that they have "internal" bump stops built into the shock for extension and the outer is a bump stop for compression. This is the old style that they advertised as the lift not needing the factory bump stops because of this.

Last edited by Riptide9; 09-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Yeaa..... I feel pretty dumb for even bringing this to the boards now.
Definitely don't feel dumb. Actually on the contrary, you were very smart for making this post and asking for advise.

All of us were were new to this stuff at one time. Speaking for myself, I could have easily made these same oversight mistakes back in 2009 when I 1st got my Jeep. Actually, if I had seen that pic of parts back in 2009 when I 1st got my JKU, I know I wouldn't have known what any of those parts were besides the springs and shocks. It's taken me awhile to get up to half the speed of everyone else that responded in this discussion and taking a leap of faith in deciding to install my lift myself helped a lot on the learning curve also.

Quick Reply: Found a used lift on CL and need some opinions