Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Found a Tire that I Like, BUT.....

Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a Tire that I Like, BUT.....

My plan to get into 35's is within my grasp and I have the following upgrades ready to go:

1. Rugged Ridge 17X9 Black Satin wheels (X5)

2. Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift w/Shocks

3. Step #3 is to purchase tires.

Issue - I am really liking the Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T and happened to see a set on a new JK at my local JCD yesterday. They are a beefy looking tire, but of course, it appears that a 35X12.50X17 is approx. 78 pounds, so I am greatly concerned around performance. I have the stock 4.10 w/automatic (which hurts - I know), so how bad would performance be considering all that I've done performance-wise, is a K&N drop-in and a Magnaflow exhaust? In addition, how bad would performance be until I could fund a Flashpaq?

Step #4 would end up being the Superchips Flashpaq post lift and tires.

Issue - I've read that several JK's can get by just with the Flashpaq until they could fund re-gearing, but taking into consideration, the Nitto weight and an automatic, would it be enough? Anyone running a similar configuration?

Step #5 would be to re-gear, but not for several months. Need to recover from several months of buying mods like, bumpers, winches, wheels, a lift, and more. (if the wife knew the extent, I might be living in my JK today )

I know that KM2's and Duratracs are very popular, but I like the distinct look of this tire and don't want to have the same tire that I've seen alot of JK's running in my region.

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

it appears that a 35X12.50X17 is approx. 78 pounds, so I am greatly concerned around performance.
Do you really think you would notice the difference between a 73 lbs tire and a 78 lbs tire? I don't. Weight is something to be aware of, but get the tires you want.

I've read that several JK's can get by just with the Flashpaq until they could fund re-gearing
A flashpaq is a great addition to your mod list, but it will never be a replacement for re-gearing. Since you have an auto, just turn OD Off until you get it re-geared.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I would pull the trigger, the worst would be the MPG hit and the speedo would be off until you got your flashpaq. Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go for the trail grappler's. I wheeled with em while on christmas leave for the first time, they shred grass and in 8 inches of mud they walked across it in 2 -wheel like I was on pavement. Just a whole hell of a lot messier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. To speak to the weight difference, it appears the KM2's are 68 lbs each so that would 40 lbs less and the Duratracs come in around 60 lbs, which is 72 lbs lighter. As long as my fellow JK'ers think I'll be alright, that's the path I'll take. I'll keep digging to see if there are any MPG results as well. Anyone else have input please respond. Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

i been running 35x12.50x18 mud grapplers for about a month with stock 3.73 . it did run a little under powered so i got superchips flashpaq and it felt almost back stock which still isnt saying much. Last weakend got my 4.88 gears put in and the flashpaq and the gears. Yah thats where its at
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

I wheel 35" Trail Grapplers and they will toss mud and snow up over the Jeep! Plus they are street quiet and a true 35...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'll keep digging to see if there are any MPG results as well. Anyone else have input please respond.
Page back a few times. There have been 4 or 5 MPG threads in just the last few days. You'll notice that the numbers are all over the place.

35's on stock gears will kill your mpg's. Driving over 70ish will kill your mpg's. A lead foot will kill your mpg's. But an extra 40 or 50 lbs switching from one set of 35s to a different set of 35's? Not so much. (unless you are changing from a road friendly AT to an aggressive MT, maybe.)

You could also do a search on the Toyo MT. It's very popular, and about the heaviest tire out there, so maybe you could get some mpg feedback from those threads.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-10-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the trail grapplers and they are great. they run true to size, unlike the km2's. the flashpaq will help alot, but as mentioned, is not a replacement for regearing
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by uncc03
Thanks for the input guys. To speak to the weight difference, it appears the KM2's are 68 lbs each so that would 40 lbs less and the Duratracs come in around 60 lbs, which is 72 lbs lighter. ...
I read somewhere in the last few days, and I don't remember where and don't even know for certain how accurate this is, but this is food for thought: Each pound of tire weight is like carrying an extra ten pounds of cargo. So, are you happy with your Jeep's acceleration, gas mileage and braking when carrying an extra 720 pounds (say, four adult passengers)? Tire weight is one of the primary reasons I'm opting for the Duratracs.

Quick Reply: Found a Tire that I Like, BUT.....