Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ford conversion in jk

Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
44's have proven fine with the 6.2 swaps over the years. With 37" + tires I'd beef up the 44's. We have about a dozen LS3's out there with rear 44's no problem. Driving style has a lot to do with breaking stuff. My personal 6.2 JKU Rubicon has over 60,000 miles with 35's, and after dozens of burnouts by the press, running at Moab and the Rubicon they are going strong.

If you run in sand, mud or crawl in the rocks beef up the 44's or go 60/80/14 bolt, etc.

Our original 6 year old 5.3 swap has over 100,000 miles with the stock 44.

I might add the LS OS has several levels of axle protection, from torque reduction to anti clunk, it is part of what keeps them together.
That 5.3 is just getting broken in too, I LOVE that motor as we have several in our work trucks.. They run every bit as good at 200k as they did new, and have all the power..
Old 11-02-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rws
I'll agree with you that the LS platform has the strongest aftermarket by far of the big 3, but most of that aftermarket is geared towards the vetts and camaro's. When you said there was a 430 and 480hp 6.2, I assumed you were talking about a beefed up 6.2 Vortec in the new trucks, as they're also an LS3 block. If you look at the dyne's of all the LS platforms, the 420hp 6200 Vortec makes the most "average hp" from 1500rpm-3500, and by a lot.. As a guy that's had a 600hp LS6, I can honestly say the last motor I would want in a jk with 37"+ tires is an LS.. Let me be clear here, I am NOT talking about the Vortec LS3 versions, just the LS3's put in corvette's and camaros. Here's why, the have no grunt down low at all, and as you go up in hp, the curves move up in rpm significantly leaving the low end torque and hp even lower.. And with the hypereutectic aluminum pistons that are used in ALL LS3 applications, that leaves out the ability to properly add forced induction without lunching the bottom end which leaves you one alternative for more power, cam and heads.. There goes even more low end grunt! So with the jk, it really comes down to the Vortec and the HEMI right now, and honestly Im not super excited about either. Like I said earlier, Im a chevy guy and think the LS is world class platform engineering wise, but you really have two choices when it comes to the LS for the Jeep - the 420hp 6200 or the 5300. The others you're losing out on low end performance, no ways around it, unless you forge the lower end and have custom heads built to allow you to get the compression way down to run big boost on a roots or twin screw charger to get big low end torque.. As far as the HEMI, it's built by Chrysler.. Not sure you have to get into it more than that.. lol Then you have the 6.2 and 6 speed from the Raptor.. When I test drove it, I didn't have much expectations as Ford gassers have always been slobs, but the reality as that 6.2 Ford kicks the shit out of the LS and the HEMI performance wise.. I really wish a company would start programming, or looking into it.. It's just a stronger motor in everyday and has lower end to accept forced induction over the long haul.
Drive a gm truck with a 6.2 and 4.10 Gears like the raptor has, it will kill a raptor! I sold a raptor to buy my jk and a friend of mine has a 6.2 gmc with 3.73's on 33's he could absolutely destroy me in all aspects of road driving. I do like the ford trans better though
Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
Drive a gm truck with a 6.2 and 4.10 Gears like the raptor has, it will kill a raptor! I sold a raptor to buy my jk and a friend of mine has a 6.2 gmc with 3.73's on 33's he could absolutely destroy me in all aspects of road driving. I do like the ford trans better though
I agree with you that the trans in the Raptor is better, which is saying lot because GM did a great job with the 6l80 and 6l90.. As far as a GM 6.2 running down a Raptor (apples and oranges) in all aspects of road driving, that's not happening, with 4.10 gears or not.. I've owned both trucks and have a lot of drive time with both so we'll have to agree to disagree here, plus it really has nothing to do with the thread at hand, which was started to find out if any builders or specialty shops are looking into this type of conversion, and if not, why they haven't looked into it.. I know the 6.2 is a big, wide motor that replaced the V10 so maybe it's size is the limiting factor..
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm talking about the Gen IV Camaro/Vette LS3, not the Gen V Eco engines. We have been installing 6.2 truck engines in JK's for 6 years, they idle at 500 rpm and have lots if low end torque.

We started to install LS3 engines a couple years ago an they run awesome in a JK. Standing on it at idle will smoke 37's with 4:56's. There is no lack of bottom end power or wheeling capability.

I will agree the LS3 480 HP engine is a top end engine. Idle to 1,300 rpm is muscle car like and not well suited for crawling; however with about 500 HP it pushes you back in the seat like a 6,000 lb has no right too.

With dozens of 6.2 LS JK's out there, and over 100,000 miles driving them, I have not driven a JK that runs better. In fact when I get into a Hemi or SC JK it doesn't feel right.

Another consideration is cost, we can install a new crate LS3 in a JK for under $20k, if I ventured to say a Ford 6.2 would run about double that with new components, modifications and r&d.

I have wheeled some of the toughest trails in the west with LS3's and the trail bosses tell me it's like cheating. With so much torque available and the light weight it's makes running trails easier. In fact you will use 4 low less often with a 6.2.

I'm not arguing the Ford 6.2 would not be great in a JK, it's just not practical like the 4bt is not practical.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws
I'll agree with you that the LS platform has the strongest aftermarket by far of the big 3, but most of that aftermarket is geared towards the vetts and camaro's. When you said there was a 430 and 480hp 6.2, I assumed you were talking about a beefed up 6.2 Vortec in the new trucks, as they're also an LS3 block. If you look at the dyne's of all the LS platforms, the 420hp 6200 Vortec makes the most "average hp" from 1500rpm-3500, and by a lot.. As a guy that's had a 600hp LS6, I can honestly say the last motor I would want in a jk with 37"+ tires is an LS.. Let me be clear here, I am NOT talking about the Vortec LS3 versions, just the LS3's put in corvette's and camaros. Here's why, the have no grunt down low at all, and as you go up in hp, the curves move up in rpm significantly leaving the low end torque and hp even lower.. And with the hypereutectic aluminum pistons that are used in ALL LS3 applications, that leaves out the ability to properly add forced induction without lunching the bottom end which leaves you one alternative for more power, cam and heads.. There goes even more low end grunt!

So with the jk, it really comes down to the Vortec and the HEMI right now, and honestly Im not super excited about either. Like I said earlier, Im a chevy guy and think the LS is world class platform engineering wise, but you really have two choices when it comes to the LS for the Jeep - the 420hp 6200 or the 5300. The others you're losing out on low end performance, no ways around it, unless you forge the lower end and have custom heads built to allow you to get the compression way down to run big boost on a roots or twin screw charger to get big low end torque.. As far as the HEMI, it's built by Chrysler.. Not sure you have to get into it more than that.. lol Then you have the 6.2 and 6 speed from the Raptor.. When I test drove it, I didn't have much expectations as Ford gassers have always been slobs, but the reality as that 6.2 Ford kicks the shit out of the LS and the HEMI performance wise.. I really wish a company would start programming, or looking into it.. It's just a stronger motor in everyday and has lower end to accept forced induction over the long haul.
This saprises me,I've owned the ford raptor and a 2011 2013 and 2014 Denali and there is no way the 6.2 ford out runs our 2014 Denali . We also have a 2014 hemi here on the farm and it don't stand a chance either. I wouldn't have commented on this if I hadn't actually owned the vehicles being discussed.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rws
6.2 and trans from the Raptor. Ive had a Hemi and a 6.2 in the Denali pickup, and Ford really hit it out of the park with this motor and trans. Just a joy to drive when you're going easy and eats the Hemi and 6.2 chevy alive when you hop on it.. I do wonder if it will fit in the jk as that 6.2 ford block is very wide..
I would better like to have a 3.5 ecoboost in my jku. Now that's a beast of a motor. 90% tq at 1900 RPM and my fx4 max tow would get 22.8 at 70 mph all day. Shoot I got 17.7 driving 75 with 2700 lbs of concrete forms in the bed. Miss that truck. Simple exhaust change and a cpu mod and your at 450+ hp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
We started to install LS3 engines a couple years ago an they run awesome in a JK. Standing on it at idle will smoke 37's with 4:56's. There is no lack of bottom end power or wheeling capability.
Which LS3? I've been up in the air with what gears to choose when I do an engine swap.. Let me ask you this from your personal experience.. If you were to do the 480hp or 525hp LS3 swap, would you go with lower gears than 5:38's if you had the choice while running 40's? I'm having 9" housings (front and rear) made up and can run up to a 7:17 I believe (don't quote me) and read many of the trophy trucks that run the LS platform are running 6:00's or 6:17's.. Currently I'm running 5:13's on 40's with the 3.8 and its awful, so bad I've actually thought of selling it it makes it so frustrating to drive..
Old 11-03-2014, 11:07 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenenvey
This saprises me,I've owned the ford raptor and a 2011 2013 and 2014 Denali and there is no way the 6.2 ford out runs our 2014 Denali . We also have a 2014 hemi here on the farm and it don't stand a chance either. I wouldn't have commented on this if I hadn't actually owned the vehicles being discussed.
That's interesting, we had an 2011 Denali.. Loved the truck just felt dopey to me, not that any full sized trucks are fast by any means.. Did you notice a big difference between the 2011 and 2014 Denali's??
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodge Ram SRT10 is the king. Lol.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
I would better like to have a 3.5 ecoboost in my jku. Now that's a beast of a motor. 90% tq at 1900 RPM and my fx4 max tow would get 22.8 at 70 mph all day. Shoot I got 17.7 driving 75 with 2700 lbs of concrete forms in the bed. Miss that truck. Simple exhaust change and a cpu mod and your at 450+ hp
I have this motor in a 2014 f150 and would love to have it in my JK. One of the most impressive motors ever.

Quick Reply: Ford conversion in jk