Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Font end clunk

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Font end clunk

Hello. So been having a clunk on the front end ever since I added my adjustable track bar. I've re torqued the trackbar bolts quit a few time, replaced my shocks, ball joints, axle unjoints, lca bolts, drag link, steering stabilizer and am soon to replace my sway bar disconnects. Today I plan to check my calipers for looseness, wheel hubs and tie rod ends.

I was wanting to know if any can tell me what to look for when checking the hub and tie rod ends for ware. My jeep has 37k and is 5years old, I live in Illinois so pretty much everything is rusted due to winter. Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Should also say the sound happens when pulling out of my driveway, turning onto the street and more so when hitting bumps, holes and other rough road surfaces.

The other week I removed the sway bar links to see if that was the issue. I drove down the road with them disconnect and still got the clunk.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like its your steering box is worn out. Im about to get a sector shaft brace to prevent mine from doing that in the future
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by bob-o
Sounds like its your steering box is worn out. Im about to get a sector shaft brace to prevent mine from doing that in the future
x2,have you check your pitman arm nut?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Well I hope it's not the box, just replaced it a month ago. I'll check the nut, hopefully it's just that! Thanks for the idea
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Torqued down the nut and seemed to reduced the noise. Can't really attempt to recreate it with the 2 inch sheets of ice on the roads. Guess ill head back to the shop who put the gearbox on and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Font end clunk