Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fog Power??

Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Power??

I just bought the PIAA 520 fogs and can't quite figure where to power the switch. Will tapping the hot that runs to the headlamps work?? If not, what will?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

you "should" have it ran off a relay and the relay "should" be directly off the battery (with a fuse) with the switch for the relay for the lights ran off your choice of witched or unswitched power.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

so if it is ran with a relay would you like an answer to your question ?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

It comes with a relay as part of the wiring. My question is where to power the switch from. The relay is wired directly to the battery, as per the instructions. The instructions also say to "locate a power source for the switch". Nice and specific and full of recommendations.

So, if anyone could clarify, what is an ideal place to grab some current for the switch? Pics would be much appreciated.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

any place will work, the amp draw for the relay is low. If you want the lights to only work when the key is on you can use the cigarette lighter and i believe the "power port" is constant on.
Both are EASY access behind the plastic cover panel

I would personaly stay away from "important" items like lights/fuel pump/ect in case the fuze does pop.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

If it is strictly a fog light you would switch the relay to the low beam wire, so the fog lights only come on when you have the low beams on.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

mine is tapped to the parking light wire
Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

I have the exact lights. I went right for the battery so it's basically "hot" all the time. You will find doing it that way will leave enough wire to place the switch near the speaker on the driver's side near your left knee Problem is, nothing will stick to the plastic! I stuck my switch lodged up between the space near where the steering column meets the speedo part of the dash. That way i can always see if I have left the lights on They are fantastic even as driving lights too as they are not a harsh yellow.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

I have the 525's, and tapped to the low beam wire near the headlight.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

ok last question - everything's up and running, system works. How do I get the switch from the engine compartment to the dash? Also, how do I pull interior panels? I have a history of TMF (too much force) and don't really care to pay $190 or whatever those cheap plastic panels cost to replace.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fog Power??