Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flush mount LED pods. Rust Problems?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount LED pods. Rust Problems?

I've got a rugged ridge rear bumper and am wondering whether cutting the holes in it for the flush mount pods as backup lights would be worth it. I've heard from a few people that once you cut the hole to mount them that the bumper will begin to rust around the hole. What should I do to prevent it?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm let's see... cover the bare metal with some sort of barrier like uh idk maybe fuccin paint
Duh
Old 12-31-2016, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just cut the holes. file the edges smooth then prime the bare metal and paint it. should have no rust issues after that as long as you cover all the bare metal.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's worth it. Make sure you properly prep and seal the newly cut and exposed edges.

Don't mind the smart-a$$ remarks from people who think they're better than everyone. because someone is asking a question to be safe and protect their investment, they try to make them feel stupid. People like that claim it's in good fun. But they're just being an a$$

I looked. You're new. 1 post. I know very little. But if I ask a question I'd like to believe people would be here to help with an answer.

Isn't that the point of these forums?

Good luck.

FD
Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fooddude
It's worth it. Make sure you properly prep and seal the newly cut and exposed edges. Don't mind the smart-a$$ remarks from people who think they're better than everyone. because someone is asking a question to be safe and protect their investment, they try to make them feel stupid. People like that claim it's in good fun. But they're just being an a$$ I looked. You're new. 1 post. I know very little. But if I ask a question I'd like to believe people would be here to help with an answer. Isn't that the point of these forums? Good luck. FD
thanks man, I was mostly wondering about the seal because a lot of my buddy's have done it and painted it like he said but theirs began to rust and looked terrible.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, the rust can appear, but if you prep properly I wouldn't worry about it. CRC (as well as many other brands) make a rust converter. They also work as a rust prevention plan. And they are much more durable than regular paint or bed liner etc. I use the CRC and has always worked for me long before I started doing any of the minor stuff on jeep. Other projects. I live and work by ocean in salt water and salt air. Never a problem. It's a red aerosol can. So mask off what you don't want sprayed as it's hard to remove and spray away. Viola!

Quick Reply: Flush mount LED pods. Rust Problems?