Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fluid Recommendation for Gear Break-In Fluid

Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Recommendation for Gear Break-In Fluid

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking the JK to have the 4.10 gears replaced with 5.13s tomorrow morning.

I have read all quite a few posts this afternoon, and thanks to everyone's advice I think I have a good list of guidelines / concerns / cautions for the gear installer to follow. These include gear install information, Lube Locker precautions, gear fluid level information, and break-in information (for me, mainly).

Once the new gears are installed I am considering having non-synthetic fluid used by the installer with the understanding that I will be replacing the fluid after 500 miles.

I haven't priced the two types of gear fluid, so maybe it's not a big deal.

The question I have for anyone else who has put a lot of thought into it is whether or not the synthetic fluid benefits the break-in period, or if it would be overkill, or if there are any real benefits during the break-in period. I plan on breaking the gears in over about 4 days if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any input.

Take Care

Jeff
Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

i see know benefit to synthetic fluid for break in. maybe a down side being that synthetic does not let the gears wear in as quickly as they should. either way its only in there for 500 miles so buy the cheap stuff first then put in your pref of synthetic fluid.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

80w-90 GL-5 for me during and after break-in. I don't tow and change often. Synthetic would be a waste for me.

Quick Reply: Fluid Recommendation for Gear Break-In Fluid