Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fluid Maintenance

Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fluid Maintenance

So what is the consensus on changing fluids? I have a lifted '12 JK that is my daily driver, but does see some wheeling. I have 31.5k miles and considering changing fluids in both diffs, transfer case, and a trans flush.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owners manual scheduled maintenance is a good place to start. What kind of wheeling do you do? Rocks, mud, water? Manual or auto trans?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stubicon
Owners manual scheduled maintenance is a good place to start. What kind of wheeling do you do? Rocks, mud, water? Manual or auto trans?
I don't take it mudding, but it does see some on the ORV trails and FSR's. I'm just getting conflicting info.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not change out fluid in the auto tranny or t-case until 60k. I have a cooler so the tranny fluid was still looking (and smelling) pretty good. Heat is a huge factor so it depends on the environment you operate in.

I changed out the differential fluid around 30k. Probably did not need to but wanted a look at the gears.

The owners manual is the guideline but it depends also on what you put the Jeep through.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-16-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed all of them (F/R diffs, transfer case, manual transmission) on my 2012 at around 22K miles.

I did it all myself so it was cheaper than my peace of mind.

If you are taking it to the dealer and you don't mud it or run it through deep water (diff can get water inside) then stick to the schedule.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you, gentlemen.

Quick Reply: Fluid Maintenance