Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flowmaster Muffler/Exhaust mods?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Muffler/Exhaust mods?

I'm thinking about going with the after cat 3" pipe, with the dual 2.5" tips with the 80 series Camaro Muffler (crossflow, 3" in / dual 2.5" out) . Is anyone running this combo, any draw backs I should know about?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone tried this setup?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

i think i saw this set up on youtube on a JK,

i liked it, just havent got around to getting it done yet, weighing all my options first
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had 3" to a magnaflow and 3" straight out the back high clearance. I had a ton of popping and seat-of-the-pants LOSS of power. I would talk to some of the exhaust manufactures and see what they have to say, but I think the 3.8 likes alittle back pressure.

I now have a 2 1/2" to a walker "quietflow 3", sounds and runs great...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Indeed, you need some back pressure (resistance) or you loose more than you're trying to achieve. Even a monster diesel needs a little, without they loose as much as 10% on the bottom end.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Baldguy01
Indeed, you need some back pressure (resistance) or you loose more than you're trying to achieve. Even a monster diesel needs a little, without they loose as much as 10% on the bottom end.
It isn't back pressure that is needed it is a size of exhaust tube that assures exhaust velocity.

There isn't any reason to have anything larger than a 2.5" pipe, single in and single out. Anything larger and you lose exhaust velocity and exhaust gas scavenging from the cylinder. A 2.5" single outlet system is good to about 250hp and you need to do a lot of work to push that kind of power out of the JK's 3.8l engine.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

to do a dual exhaust like that you may want to think of doing a 2.5" inlet with 2" or 2.25" dual outlet. And at that those diameter outlets may be to big. You will get loss of back pressure and reduce torque and hp. I wouldn't do a dual exhaust. I relocated my muffler with a flowmaster super 44 and i noticed a drop in power due to backpressure.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kabookie10
to do a dual exhaust like that you may want to think of doing a 2.5" inlet with 2" or 2.25" dual outlet. And at that those diameter outlets may be to big.
It isn't back pressure but exhaust velocity. You are correct in your assertion that those diameter outlets would be too large for a dual outlet exhaust for the JK. The correct diameter outlets for a dual outlet exhaust would be 1.75" diameter which would totally remove any cool factor.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Baldguy01
Might wanna stick to gasoline performance theory.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by patracy
Might wanna stick to gasoline performance theory.
Yes, in a normally aspirated engine.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Muffler/Exhaust mods?