Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flowmaster Muffler?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Hey Guys! I've been searching the site to get a general consensus on which muffler to get. My friend put a Gibson system on and it sounds like a Honda. I dont want this to happen to me. I want to put a dual exhaust outlet. Should I get a Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler and have a muffler shop throw it on? What will be the best thing to do? I cant believe they charge a crap load of money for a cat back system when all you really need to do is buy a muffler for 100 bucks or so!
I have a Flowmaster Super44 on mine, and I've had nothing but complments. Sounds great. Cost me 150 installed.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flow Master 40

I had a flow master 40 on my 92 YJ 4cly and it did sound like a Tuner Honda. I have a Gibson my my old 95 S10 Blazer 4.3L V6 and it sounded great. I have a borla on my 91 YJ 6Cyl 4.0L and its too quite if you ask me. I like a little rumble just not the high wrap of the Flow master. Yes I realize 4 cyl vrs 6 cyl would make a big difference also. I would like to a good more open flow muffler on my JK without a tinny sound. That being said I look forward to everyone's experience here.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I've got a couple of mufflers laying around. I used them for testing, so they literally have about 4 minutes of run time on them. Look brand new. 1-Borla, 1-Flowmaster, 1-Magnaflow. I'd take $50 each plus shipping. If interested, please send me an email

brett@JeepSWAG.com
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jarne
Minus the sound, can you actually tell the difference with an after market exhaust system? Is it really that noticable in performance? If it is noticable, where? Low, Mid, High?

I actually never thought about getting an after market one, until I saw this post, so my checking account is cursing you guys btw.

I really only heard of one company, Flowmaster, maybe because of populararity. So, I take it, this is a pretty good system? And, last question I see you guys talking about different series: 40, 50, etc. Is the difference between those the sound, preformance, size of muffler or combination of several things?

There was a post maybe 6 months or so back. The person had access to a dyno and 5 or 6 muffler setups. His post is why I bought the magnaflow. The cat back systems didn't have the performance gains that the muffler relocation does. I did mine the cheap way. There is a sponser on here selling a complete setup with a nice tailpipe instead of the hacksaw and welded tail pipe like I have.

As far as noticeable power. I seem to hold better speed on the hills before downshifting now. I've done way to many mods effecting fuel milage to know what kind of gains the exhaust had on it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
There was a post maybe 6 months or so back. The person had access to a dyno and 5 or 6 muffler setups. His post is why I bought the magnaflow. The cat back systems didn't have the performance gains that the muffler relocation does. I did mine the cheap way. There is a sponser on here selling a complete setup with a nice tailpipe instead of the hacksaw and welded tail pipe like I have.

As far as noticeable power. I seem to hold better speed on the hills before downshifting now. I've done way to many mods effecting fuel milage to know what kind of gains the exhaust had on it.

Which sponser, if you don't mind me asking!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TexsDream77

Do you have a link ??
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
Which sponser, if you don't mind me asking!

Woods has a Woods muffler relocation kit. Theres also a evap relocation kit.

Jeepswag.com
Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a FM 40, I like it , doesn't sound ricey, has a nice drone when you slow down or downshift. It will crackle a little when you first put it on. That goes away in a few days.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just released a new version of the Muffler Relo kit. Details: http://www.jeepswag.com/jeepswagmuff/
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

This thread got me interested in a flowmaster 40 series. Any of you guys running this on a two door? Any type of evap relocation needed?

I would just buy Woods kit, but I have no welder so I think the local muffler shop will have to do this one.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Muffler?