Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flowmaster Muffler?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Muffler?

Hey Guys! I've been searching the site to get a general consensus on which muffler to get. My friend put a Gibson system on and it sounds like a Honda. I dont want this to happen to me. I want to put a dual exhaust outlet. Should I get a Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler and have a muffler shop throw it on? What will be the best thing to do? I cant believe they charge a crap load of money for a cat back system when all you really need to do is buy a muffler for 100 bucks or so!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Ive always had good luck with flowmaster. havent put one on my Jeep yet, but will consider Flowmaster when I do.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

search for my thread on my flowmaster 80 series, I have pics and soundclips. I really like it. ask me if you have any questions.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

i actually was talking to a shop the other day about the super 44 and he said that wheeling with one would be a bad idea because it pretty much is metal with some paint on it. The 40 series would be a better choice and will hold up a lot better, but will still have the same volume as the 44. if you go on the flowmaster site you can see that they have a volume chart on there that will help you.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 50 series and love it. the shop got it tucked up high enough that if I ever damage it it would be the least of my worries
Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Hey buddy i also have the 50 series on my jk unlimited and love it also. My buddy has the 40 series on his and it's a little louder in the cab.

Note : Also the dual will lower your torgue just a little. And a little goes along ways on these power plants

good luck in your choice

bill
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Magnaflow on mine. Can't really hear it from the cab. But, apparently it's got a good sound from behind it. I'm always getting compliments. Down side is now the wife knows exactly what time I come in at night.

This cost me less than $100.00. The section of pipe that I cut out for the muffler I was able to weld to the rear after I cut the factory muffler out. Just cut the rear pipe as close to the fatory muffler as possible.

I've seen someone locally that did this mod with a flowmaster 40. His jeep is a bit louder than mine from outside. And much louder inside. Not really sure why it's so loud inside. All my flowmaster trucks were noisy in cab too. Maybe it's the construction.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Minus the sound, can you actually tell the difference with an after market exhaust system? Is it really that noticable in performance? If it is noticable, where? Low, Mid, High?

I actually never thought about getting an after market one, until I saw this post, so my checking account is cursing you guys btw.

I really only heard of one company, Flowmaster, maybe because of populararity. So, I take it, this is a pretty good system? And, last question I see you guys talking about different series: 40, 50, etc. Is the difference between those the sound, preformance, size of muffler or combination of several things?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Well let me say that I'm not a cheerleader for Flowmaster but I just installed the Flowmaster "Hushpower" great sound and nice small size. I don't have any photos or sound clips but I used to own an exhaust shop and I can tell you it's a quality product. The sound is deeper than stock and doesn't sound like a "Honda" by any means.

Mitchell...

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Muffler?