Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

flowmaster 40 series on and!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flowmaster 40 series on and!!!

mixed feelings on it. as you all may or may not know flowmaster needs to break in before it sounds like it is supposed to. i like it allot. some of the older folks might hate it. sounds hollow at idle and throughty when wide open. sound clips and pics to follow. (pics i know how to post but sound clips i have no idea
Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can go to www.exhaustsoundclips.com, sign up and post them there...

or, if you know someone with a website that can host them...

if you dont, i'll host them on mine. if nothing else, a comparison. i have a camaro performance muffler sold by Jegs that i got for $10 off ebay.... it may make a good comparison.

if you want, you can do that. PM me, or email me if you want to do that.
b1pig@hotmail.com
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Does it sound anything like this:

http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/...le&file_id=885

(open the file in Windows Media Player)

Also did you do the work by yourself or at a shop?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have always heard if you have less than 8 cylinders and you go with flowmaster to use a 3-chambered flowmaster and a not a 2.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

not true. i had a flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber on my 4.0 ZJ with a Banks header. sounded awesome. perfect in my view. not too loud, not ricey... not buzzy... it had a deep mellow tone to it.

that ZJ was the reason i put one on the wife's Tahoe. soon as i can afford and buy a different muffler, it's coming off. it's far too loud behind that 5.3.... and the interior resonance has gotten to the point that it is making the dash buzz.

i dont think that recording does justice to the install, though. The truest ones i have heard/seen were taken about 10-15 feet away from the vehicle in the general area of where the exhaust outlet is.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Any pics of the flowmaster installed?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by b1pig
not true. i had a flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber on my 4.0 ZJ with a Banks header. sounded awesome. perfect in my view. not too loud, not ricey... not buzzy... it had a deep mellow tone to it.

that ZJ was the reason i put one on the wife's Tahoe. soon as i can afford and buy a different muffler, it's coming off. it's far too loud behind that 5.3.... and the interior resonance has gotten to the point that it is making the dash buzz.

i dont think that recording does justice to the install, though. The truest ones i have heard/seen were taken about 10-15 feet away from the vehicle in the general area of where the exhaust outlet is.

Actually, it is the 2 chamber flowmaster is designed to work with the exhaust pulses from a V8 motor.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics will be up on monday i am on duty this weekend and i just got a camera.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jerzeyjeep
pics will be up on monday i am on duty this weekend and i just got a camera.
Excellent and thanks. I'd be especially interested in how they connected it, considering the stock muffler connects through the back and the Flowmaster connects on the sides. If it's been relocated as some people have done well then it should be fairly straight forward. If not, I'm intersted in seeing what kind of bends your shop made and where it ended up being mounted if not completely flush with the heat shield.

I have heard a 40 series on a JK and I liked it, at first I thought it sounded a little bit like an import, then I realized it wasn't that, it was that it's a 6cyl and not the typical v8 we tend to associate with Flows.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still waiting to hear one. I got a performance muffler that is sold through Jegs for a Camaro.... 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets... sounded good at idle... but I didnt like the raspy sound. some may like it... so i'm gonna part with it.

i need sumpthin mellow.

waitin patiently for the pics.. (and sound clip{s})

Quick Reply: flowmaster 40 series on and!!!