Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Floor Jack

Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Jack

I'm going to be installing a lift. Should I jack up the front end by the differential in order to put the frame on the jack stands or should I jack up one side, put it on a stand and then jack up the other side. Also, I'm looking at getting the following jack. The contact point on the top is rather thin. Will this be ok? I'm use to the flat plates on the top.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100349252&N=10000003+9 0048+524627

Thanks

Last edited by Robar; 06-12-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Edited direct link
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

I am doing the same thing now, so here is what you need to consider:

For the lift you must put jack stands under the frame - you will need to droop (lower) your axle enough to install the lift and make sure the support point is solid enough to support the weight of your vehicle.
Make sure you have jack stands tall enough for the job. I'd also suggest 2 more smaller jack stands to rest your axle on while working on the lift.
I guess it is Ok to jack the differential (I am not that happy about it though) but be prepared for the Jeep to tilt as you lift it. I always put the jack stands immediately and continuously increase the height as I jack up.
Check the maximum height of your jack and make sure it is tall enough to lift the tires. For example 18" was Ok under the differential but was barely enough to lift one axle on the side to clear my factory 29" tires.
Floor jack's arm starts moving aggressively from the front to the rear at near maximum extension and require more force - so it is possible push it out from under the jacking point sending the 2 ton hulk of iron crashing down - be careful.
Oh - and chock the wheels, put in park AND in 4WD, put the tires under the disks just in case and do not crawl under the lifted vehicle
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Oh - and IMHO 22" jack under the frame won't be enough to lift the tires off the ground once the lift is installed - so jacking one side and then the other might not work.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

So what is the easiest way to jack up the front of the JK, if you jack under the front differential it will lean?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

I have been looking a decent floor jack with a height max that will permit me to work on my lifted Jeep. I have only been finding max heights of 19-20 inches. Or am I looking in the wrong places again?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

For me = A floor jack is not necessary enough to buy one. I use my Hi-Lift jack and jack from the bumper one corner at a time. As stated above have 4 jack stands 2 for the frame and 2 for the axles.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misha
Oh - and IMHO 22" jack under the frame won't be enough to lift the tires off the ground once the lift is installed - so jacking one side and then the other might not work.
my jack goes to 20in, 3 ton jack from harbor freight, and it lifted it plenty high enough and I have a ft 3in lift

you can lift it one side at a time on the axle to put the jackstand under the frame, I've also jacked at the frame and put the jackstand under the frame that way.

here look at wol write up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tkob1060
my jack goes to 20in, 3 ton jack from harbor freight, and it lifted it plenty high enough and I have a ft 3in lift

you can lift it one side at a time on the axle to put the jackstand under the frame, I've also jacked at the frame and put the jackstand under the frame that way.

here look at wol write up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Thanks a lot - it is really helpful. I am banging my head trying to find a good combination of hardware to do repairs/adjustments. BTW For some reason the original URL does not show in the message
I am leaning towards Hi-Lift (A.K.A the widowmaker) for my repairs but darn - this thing is dangerous...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

You don't need to jack the whole front up to install a lift. I think you guys are making it more difficult than it has to be. If you need more height make a jack stand for the stock jack or a small hydraulic. To change a flat on the road its best to jack from the axle. To install a lift or do other suspension parts work you need the axle free so you lift and support from the frame.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 PM
JK Junkie

My .02 is anyone trying to do routine maintenance with a highlift is asking for trouble. get the right tools for the job. get a 3 ton jack, raise the bitch as high as it goes, put 3 ton jack stands under the frame, take the tires off and with the tires off the axle will droop plenty without touching the ground.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack