Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flip down tailgate

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Flip down tailgate

Has anyone seen a flipdown tailgate conversion? I know that something would need to be done with the spare but a flip down tailgate would make the space so much more usable especially in the unlimited with the seats folded forward. If the spare were on its own swing mount that could be locked in position the tailgate could then be folded down and used just like a truck. It fixes the "tailgate slamming into me problem" too.

I've done my own searches and come up empty. I'd be interested in what you've seen. Maybe one of our great manufacturer sponsors would like to help us out with this too.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like an intrestin idea...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the idea, however, it would actually make accessing the interior space of the 4 door harder because you would have to reach over the tailgate... or they could do it like the honda ridgeline that works both ways.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I want to do this to mine (a real tailgate for tailgate parties) but I looked at it and I don't think the tailgate can handle any wieght on it. oh ya and it's not straight. I think you would have to make a new one.

and then figure out a way to access the storage comartment cause I think the fold down tail gate would bet in the way of that.

Damn it I still want one!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by racer83l
i like the idea, however, it would actually make accessing the interior space of the 4 door harder because you would have to reach over the tailgate... or they could do it like the honda ridgeline that works both ways.

With the height of lifted Jeep I'd agree. Reaching over the closed gate and into the back over a dropped gate is still difficult no matter what but again that's no different than any pickup truck. In fact if it was done and adding a bed extender cage like many trucks have now your could flip it inboard and keep everything close to the back and when you need more storage flip it outboard onto the gate to extend the capacity. When it is all extended the spare could be locked into place next to the tailgate.

I'll have to look at the curve of the tailgate. I've never really noticed it. As long as the inside is flat it would work. What is on the outside doesn't matter. The important part is where the hinge is and the allighnment of the two surfaces. Most trucks have curves of some sort in the tailgate but they are flat on the inside.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

what about removing the tailgate? would that be difficult?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

It would be great if you could just purchase a new gate with the the hardware to install it. If it installed like a standard pickup truck tailgate that would be great.

Quick Reply: Flip down tailgate