Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flighty steering/swaying at 80 mph NEED HELP

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flighty steering/swaying at 80 mph NEED HELP

So after months of death wobble, I was finally able to correct the issue.....I replace my JKS front trac with a POly front adjustable trac and the Poly front axle brace.

Now at 70-80 mph I feel like I am floating all over the road and it "feels" like when I hit bigger bumps in the road I "Sway" back and forth.
It also now seems like I "feel" every pot hole I hit....I mean it jerks the steering wheel and then it rolls back to center....

So here is my set up maybe someone can suggest something.....

This is an 08 JKUR

I am currently running the following :

3.5 aev coils
Front Poly track bar brace/ Jks frame trac brace/ poly adj trac bar ( this solved the death wobble)
I had also moved the sway links up to the higher position than stock per the trac bar bracket instructions.... I am using TFlex links that came with a 2.5 lift kit that was on berfore I went to the AEV coils
Rear AEV track bar brace and AEV trac bar. the Rear bar is on the highest hole, this gave the appearance of the track bar being parallel with the axle.

Full TF adjustable control arms upper and lower front and rear.
These have been set to specs based on TF recs. for a 3.5 inch lift according to the pdf I downloaded.

I am also running a bilstein front steering stabilizer, pervious was a tflex SS.

As a side note before I added the poly bracket my sway links in front would just barley rub the front coils, this was solved with the bracket lifting the links higher.

Also the rear coils are not linear, and are tilted slightly causing them to bend in a "U" shape. I am not sure if this is due to the length of the arms or not. and I think they sometime slightly rub the rear bracket??

I did not flip the steering with the Right hand drive link......

I also had the thing aligned and everything according to the guys making $8 an hr said everything was with in specs.

Any suggestions?????

I think my components are somewhat accommodating to each other, and at 50 mph I couldn't be happier, problem is that in So Dak, if you ain't running 80 mph you ain't going to make it to were you want to me in time....

Any help would be great.....
I feel I Finally have my Rubi set to where I want to but and was almost ready to give up and trade it off with the death wobble, if I cant figure this "sway and steering thing" out I might still fall off the JK band wagon.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

If I remember correctly, the Tera numbers for control arms lengths aren't all that good. You need to get it on an alignment rack to see what true caster is. I'm betting 1-2*.

Nice to see you fixed the DW. Your one of the many I've seen with the JKS being the cause.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to a shop that deals with lifted jeeps and get a profesh alignment where they adjust the arms. The teraflex specs are also probably assuming you're using their coils, which you arent.

I did this and it was $150...rides way better.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'll 3rd the check the caster numbers. It could be that your caster was in the 5-6 range before, and the shop set it back to 'factory' spec or lower.

Also, how parallel are the trackbar and drag link? The bars are bent, so it may be easier to just take a picture and draw lines connecting the mounting holes.

How level are your swaybars after the new links and brackets? (don't think this would cause any driveability issues, just curious).

And you should probably get around to doing something about the components that are rubbing against other components...
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same problem

Will try to follow post as I have the same problem. I am running TerFlex 3 inch with T Felx Springs, Sway bar disco's, track bars. Sway bar is faily flat with the extended disco's. Also have the TFlex steering stabelizer. ATS yokohamas om 17x1.5 AEV's. Factory install and set up with no DW just floaty at speed and slugish responce to the steering.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

How much air pressure is in your tires?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default How much air

I typically run 45psi on the highway. Can go to 60 but dodn't want to wearout the centers.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in some 2" springs with stock control arms and I'm a bit flighty myself. I just got over the DW as well.

Why I subscribed
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like you need a drag link flip to correct your steering geometry. Sounds as though you're experiencing bump steer and of your steering geo is off it will cause this. Need your front track bar and drag link parallel to each other as best you can. By flipping your drag link to the top of the steering knuckle this should solve your issue.

Sent from the comfort of the toilet!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Flip your drag link an try lower tire pressure. And adjust caster to 5-6* that may help.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Flighty steering/swaying at 80 mph NEED HELP