Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flighty Steering / Bump steer

Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Having the front uppers and rear lowers will allow for maximum adjustment of the axle position and pinion angle. I'm still debating on the Tera flip kit - just not a fan of having to drill into the knuckle to install it
It's actually not that much you have to drill out. Takes like 10 seconds.
Hell, I thought I was gonna spaz when I had to drill my detroit locker holes, it was easy.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Holy shit, I just looked at your first page. First off your toed in too much. You should be at about 0.20. Secondly your running a shitload of negative camber. Your c's or axle is bent. You need adj balljoints . At a total of -2.0, you need 1 degree adj ball joints each side to get you back in spec. I had to do this awhile back and it made a huge difference. I suggest you do these things first before you spend a dime on anything else. Cause if you don't your stuff aint never gonna be right.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Would running a flip kit stock help with steering?
It improved my steering handling big time. Feels much more solid.

Last edited by renpia; 03-19-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by renpia
It improved my steering big time.
Not on hellbounds though, he's stock, a flipkit would f'up his stuff worse.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Not on hellbounds though, he's stock, a flipkit would f'up his stuff worse.
Oh, right. Didn't know he was stock. 4" and up it works wonders.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Oh, right. Didn't know he was stock. 4" and up it works wonders.
Totally agree. My drive to Moab this year will be much better cause of it.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are stumped with everything you had checked, why not consider the flip kit? The drilling of the knuckle is not a big deal, you are just drilling through the taper so the drag link can be flipped. The flip kit corrects steering geometry and roll center which not only improves handling but also eliminated my bump steer.
Honestly, because I don't want to keep adding parts on a trial and error basis. I know the JK ran fine without any DW issues before SLC did the work. Something that was done during the mods they installed (extended brake lines, weld on TeraFlex rear coil perch, front .5" coil spacer, rear coast driveshaft, TeraFlex monster track bar and alignment) caused the DW to return. I'd sure hate to spend another $300+ and find out that I still have an issue
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Would running a flip kit stock help with steering?
Flip kits are designed for lifted vehicles; I don't think it'll help a stock vehicle? maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that was my understanding.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Holy shit, I just looked at your first page. First off your toed in too much. You should be at about 0.20. Secondly your running a shitload of negative camber. Your c's or axle is bent. You need adj balljoints . At a total of -2.0, you need 1 degree adj ball joints each side to get you back in spec. I had to do this awhile back and it made a huge difference. I suggest you do these things first before you spend a dime on anything else. Cause if you don't your stuff aint never gonna be right.
That was exactly the feedback I was hoping to get. That someone might see something on the alignment spec sheet that seemed off. I noticed the negative camber as well and wanted to make sure I wasn't reading that wrong. So, my c's are bent then? Dang. That's the whole reason I had the EVO gussets installed. Guess it didn't help much. Can you get those ball joints at any auto store or do one of the sponsors carry it? And I was worried about the toe as well. So that IS off as well. So much for paying someone "reputed" to do the job. Thanks for the feedback. Let me tackle those things and see how it goes.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
...Can you get those ball joints at any auto store or do one of the sponsors carry it? ...
I think Napa carriers the adjustable ones... not sure if one of our sponsors does though

Quick Reply: Flighty Steering / Bump steer