Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flighty Steering / Bump steer

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
Did I read one of your post correctly and you don't have front LCA's?...
I have TeraFlex Front LCAs and Rear UCAs. Still need Front UCAs and Rear LCAs to have the complete set.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
I have TeraFlex Front LCAs and Rear UCAs. Still need Front UCAs and Rear LCAs to have the complete set.
Ahh, I don't have uppers either and not sure if I really need them. But my flip kit definitely cured my bumpsteer and would recommend it for 4" and up lifts.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by renpia
Ahh, I don't have uppers either and not sure if I really need them. But my flip kit definitely cured my bumpsteer and would recommend it for 4" and up lifts.
Having the front uppers and rear lowers will allow for maximum adjustment of the axle position and pinion angle. I'm still debating on the Tera flip kit - just not a fan of having to drill into the knuckle to install it
Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Ok. Had our front end technician take a look at the JK this morning to see if we could figure out what was causing the DW issues. He went over the front end in great detail checking all components for wear and making sure everything was good and tight. Drag link is good, ball joints look good, tie rod ends are good, toe-in is good, track bar bolts are good and tight, holes aren't wallowed out, control arm bolts are torqued to spec, track bar is torqued to spec, steering gear box looks good (but he said, without a steering dampener, it will cause the steering gear box to go out eventually). Camber is off just a little, but not by much. Caster is at 3.9* which he said should be good - more caster would help highway driving but would cause issues with the front driveshaft eventually, so that's good as well. Only thing he can think of is to put a steering dampener on and see if the wobble exists. He thinks the lack of a dampener will cause excess wear and tear on the steering gear box and the heavier, taller, bigger 35s will make it susceptible to excessive bump steer which would lead to wobble.

Thoughts anyone? I've been over planman's DW diagnosis thread several times and gone over that checklist a couple of times. Nothing that culd be the cause seems to be put of place . This thing's got me stumped big time. And I must add that the tires were just balanced less than a month back - but if anyone thinks I need to do at again, I probably will. I'm waiting for the wife's JK to get done with the Bodyshop work and might even swap stock tires on for a day to see if it's not tire related, even thought it does not appear to be - just to eliminate a bent wheel scenario
Old 03-19-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Ok. Had our front end technician take a look at the JK this morning to see if we could figure out what was causing the DW issues. He went over the front end in great detail checking all components for wear and making sure everything was good and tight. Drag link is good, ball joints look good, tie rod ends are good, toe-in is good, track bar bolts are good and tight, holes aren't wallowed out, control arm bolts are torqued to spec, track bar is torqued to spec, steering gear box looks good (but he said, without a steering dampener, it will cause the steering gear box to go out eventually). Camber is off just a little, but not by much. Caster is at 3.9* which he said should be good - more caster would help highway driving but would cause issues with the front driveshaft eventually, so that's good as well. Only thing he can think of is to put a steering dampener on and see if the wobble exists. He thinks the lack of a dampener will cause excess wear and tear on the steering gear box and the heavier, taller, bigger 35s will make it susceptible to excessive bump steer which would lead to wobble.

Thoughts anyone? I've been over planman's DW diagnosis thread several times and gone over that checklist a couple of times. Nothing that culd be the cause seems to be put of place . This thing's got me stumped big time. And I must add that the tires were just balanced less than a month back - but if anyone thinks I need to do at again, I probably will. I'm waiting for the wife's JK to get done with the Bodyshop work and might even swap stock tires on for a day to see if it's not tire related, even thought it does not appear to be - just to eliminate a bent wheel scenario
I had very similar results after I upgraded my rig, it turned out to be the stabilizer (okay, everyone stop, I know Planman says it will not cause it), however an incorrectly placed steering stabilizer can. I would start with checking WHERE your stabilizer is installed, and also verify it is working correctly.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Torrin
I had very similar results after I upgraded my rig, it turned out to be the stabilizer (okay, everyone stop, I know Planman says it will not cause it), however an incorrectly placed steering stabilizer can. I would start with checking WHERE your stabilizer is installed, and also verify it is working correctly.
If I am not mistaken, I do not believe Interceptor is running a SS... not, atleast, until he diagnoises the source of his DW
Old 03-19-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Torrin
...I would start with checking WHERE your stabilizer is installed, and also verify it is working correctly.
I'm not running a steering stabilizer at the moment. Reason I'm not running it is that at one point, I didn't notice any difference with or without one and the RC dual ss I was running prior to that was getting hit by the track bar. Now, with the JKS track bar brace welded on to the axle, I can no longer use the stock location to mount the ss, nor can I use the relocate location that the JKS track bar brace offers because the TeraFlex monster track bar will hit it. And the way the JKS track bar reinforcement bracket is welded, I don't think I can use the woods relocation bracket either
Old 03-19-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
If I am not mistaken, I do not believe Interceptor is running a SS... not, atleast, until he diagnoises the source of his DW
That would be correct.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Having the front uppers and rear lowers will allow for maximum adjustment of the axle position and pinion angle. I'm still debating on the Tera flip kit - just not a fan of having to drill into the knuckle to install it
If you are stumped with everything you had checked, why not consider the flip kit? The drilling of the knuckle is not a big deal, you are just drilling through the taper so the drag link can be flipped. The flip kit corrects steering geometry and roll center which not only improves handling but also eliminated my bump steer.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Jedi

Would running a flip kit stock help with steering?

Quick Reply: Flighty Steering / Bump steer