Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flighty Steering / Bump steer

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
...Going back 1st week in April to get my 35" Mickey MTZ's put on.....
So your bump steer was with stock wheels and tires? You might want to get that identified before you go to 35s - the wider tires will make it considerably more noticeable.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I wish I was a mechanic so I could play around with my JK..... I'm clueless though.
Do yourself a huge favor and read through this. The more you know, the more you know...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Grab a cheap angle finder and check your caster numbers.
* note that this does not equal the numbers from an alignment rack, but it will give us a good point for comparison.

And verify that your axles are centered.

And then check your toe just for the hell of it.

And then check your steering wheel for the same reason.

Keep messing with your jeep, and you'll be a mechanic in no time.

They sent my JK out to get the alignment done..... I never received or saw the print out .
One thing you will find is that a LOT of shops will set you back to factory specs. After a taller lift, you generally want more than factory caster. And with bigger/wider tires, you may want to change the Toe.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your caster does not seem low but it seems like your camber is pretty bad. Might wanna check for bad ball joints.

Also what are you feeling exactly when you hit the bumps?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Your caster does not seem low but it seems like your camber is pretty bad. Might wanna check for bad ball joints.

Also what are you feeling exactly when you hit the bumps?
I'll look at the ball joints again, but I hadn't felt any movement there when I checked it last.

When I hit bumps with the driver side, normal bump steer (I'd attribute that to not having a SS and running 35s), but when the passenger side hits a bump, you get quite a bit of feedback into the steering wheel and a resonating shake - not as severe as a DW is (because I'd had that a little while back till I swapped out the pitman arm back to stock). Toe was out a little, so I adjusted it again to being 1/8" in (per Eddie's write up). When I took a drive after adjusting the toe, I had DW once, and it hadn't done it since.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
I'll look at the ball joints again, but I hadn't felt any movement there when I checked it last.

When I hit bumps with the driver side, normal bump steer (I'd attribute that to not having a SS and running 35s), but when the passenger side hits a bump, you get quite a bit of feedback into the steering wheel and a resonating shake - not as severe as a DW is (because I'd had that a little while back till I swapped out the pitman arm back to stock). Toe was out a little, so I adjusted it again to being 1/8" in (per Eddie's write up). When I took a drive after adjusting the toe, I had DW once, and it hadn't done it since.
Have you checked your steering box for play?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Have you checked your steering box for play?
We did when the stock pitman went on, and didn't notice any. Funny thing is that it used to drive fine till I took it to the shop this last time when the front trackbar was replaced, rear driveshaft installed, rear teraflex coil perch was installed, brake line extensions and alignment done. I know the rear driveshaft, coil perch and brake lines couldn't have had anything to do with it - that leaves me with the trackbar and something with the alignment as the possible cause. When I got it back from the shop, steering had gotten sloppy, the front axle hadn't been centered and the front trackbar was installed in the JKS trackbar brace offset location (about a couple of inches above the stock location), and I was having full blown DW at the time. When we swapped out the pitman arm and lowered the trackbar axle side mount to the stock location, and adjusted the toe-in, the DW went away and now I have bump steer. Trackbar bolts are torqued down good and the holes aren't wallowed out. I'll recheck the torque when I get home.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
So your bump steer was with stock wheels and tires? You might want to get that identified before you go to 35s - the wider tires will make it considerably more noticeable.
Sorry for taking so long between my replies.... Working a 10 Hr shift...
No I have Rock Krawler rims and 33" Mickey ATZ's on and were on before I was lifted. I'll soon find out how 35'sMTZ are going to affect this situation.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi

Sorry for taking so long between my replies.... Working a 10 Hr shift...
No I have Rock Krawler rims and 33" Mickey ATZ's on and were on before I was lifted. I'll soon find out how 35'sMTZ are going to affect this situation.
No sweat . Keep us posted on difference you notice.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Do yourself a huge favor and read through this. The more you know, the more you know...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Grab a cheap angle finder and check your caster numbers.
* note that this does not equal the numbers from an alignment rack, but it will give us a good point for comparison.

And verify that your axles are centered.

And then check your toe just for the hell of it.

And then check your steering wheel for the same reason.

Keep messing with your jeep, and you'll be a mechanic in no time.

One thing you will find is that a LOT of shops will set you back to factory specs. After a taller lift, you generally want more than factory caster. And with bigger/wider tires, you may want to change the Toe.
Thanks for that.... I took it back already once and they centred my axles and played with the pinion? Also adjusted new track bar....
That solved a litttle vibration I was getting in the front end at very low speeds like when pulling away from a stop light/sign .... But now I have this little bit of looseness in the steering wheel when I hit small bumps. Hopefully never any experience with Death Wobble.... Read enough threads/posts on that..... To scare me... Thx again..... Rob from Canada

P.S. Wow good reading..... Great article to have and keep. I'll be a mechanic in no time LOL.... My second job to pay for more mod's ...... Sooo addictive these mods.

Last edited by robsjeep9; 03-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Did I read one of your post correctly and you don't have front LCA's? I would think you would need that for a 4" lift to adjust castor. I think that would fix your flightiness. I fixed my bumpsteer issues with an Evo drag link flip and new drag link ends, as well as replaced my tie-rod with an HD Rock Krawler with new ends. And to smooth things out at the steering wheel, I added TF steering stabilizer. No more bumpsteer.

Quick Reply: Flighty Steering / Bump steer