Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

flighty steering which is best option

Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuckjkjeeper
how much longer would i have to adjust the control arms? I only have a 2.5" BB but notice that my Jeep is a little flighty and tends to want to follow irregularities in the road surface more?
you just need to lengthen them a little bit... maybe a 1/4" longer than stock should do the trick. if not, you can always add a bit more with ease.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also check your toe setting. A LOT of flightiness can be introduced with a funky toe setting. I only added a 1.75" bb to my JK and the thing got nervous. I played with the toe a lot and found the best setting to be zero'd out. Now it's not flighty at all and tracks dead straight over rough stuff.

Personally, I think that the less caster you run, the less toe you need to run. If you fix the caster, going back to a 1/8" toe-in would probably be good.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but AEV has a geometry correcting front control arm drop brackets for lifts above 2.5 and below 4". They can be used on non-AEV lifts, as in my case, and really helps bring it back to a stock feel. Plus, it's much cheaper than LCA. $99.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

how much longer would i have to adjust the control arms? I only have a 2.5" BB but notice that my Jeep is a little flighty and tends to want to follow irregularities in the road surface more?
That is a good question. You couls start by calling your lift kit manufacturer and just asking if they have a starting point for you. My 4.5" kit did, that allowed us to install it and be close, then dial it when it was on the alignment rack. Or you can either put it on a rack or with an angle reader on the axle adjust your arms until the castor is where you want it.
There is a write up on the forum here that I'm sure if you search it it will come up.
Adjusting your control arms up front is a balance between pinin angle and + castor. The more + the castor the more positive the steering feel but as you increase castor you increase your pinion angle. So essentially you are tryingto get as much castor as possible for positive handling but not too much as to start having driveline vibration. This should be a really easy balance to achieve with a 2.5" kit.
Hopefully some other members will chime in and add anythingI might of left out. Good luck with it.

x2 in what WOL said. If anyone would know it is him so I'd start there.

Last edited by Bonedoc; 05-23-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I'd also check your toe setting. A LOT of flightiness can be introduced with a funky toe setting. I only added a 1.75" bb to my JK and the thing got nervous. I played with the toe a lot and found the best setting to be zero'd out. Now it's not flighty at all and tracks dead straight over rough stuff.

Personally, I think that the less caster you run, the less toe you need to run. If you fix the caster, going back to a 1/8" toe-in would probably be good.
not trying to offed anyone here but, your information is really bad. unlike the old TJ, the steering design of the JK will NOT change your toe-in setting with the installation of a lift. proper toe-in should measure only about 1/16" of an inch and to someone new to working on jeeps, this can easily be mistaken for zero. granted, if you have a bent tie-rod due to a hit from a rock, that would change your toe-in but it would do so by giving you TOO MUCH.

when talking about caster, the change in degree is too small to require any change to your toe setting.

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Not sure if this will help, but AEV has a geometry correcting front control arm drop brackets for lifts above 2.5 and below 4". They can be used on non-AEV lifts, as in my case, and really helps bring it back to a stock feel. Plus, it's much cheaper than LCA. $99.
the brackets you speak of will help but, as you mentioned, on a jeep that is sitting more at 3"-4" and NOT 2.5". the OP has only 2.5" of lift and really, i have a hard time recommending that someone purposefully LOWER a rock target like your control arm mounts after you just spent good money trying to lift it up. but hey, that's just me.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and have the same "flightyness" when driving over 35 mph. After reviewing ALOT of the threads
on this forum, the adjustable front lower control arms seem to be the way to go, now that i've got my front axle centered with an
adjustable front trackbar (JKS). Mine should be here in a day or so. Listen to wayoflife, he knows his stuff.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrong394
Alright guess I need adjustable lca's....what brand is recommended...also should I have this done by a professional or is it something I can do in the garage
JK Wrangler Front Lower FlexArms | TeraFlex Suspensions

TeraFlex has adjustable control arms for your JK also. You can install these at home.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
not trying to offed anyone here but, your information is really bad. unlike the old TJ, the steering design of the JK will NOT change your toe-in setting with the installation of a lift. proper toe-in should measure only about 1/16" of an inch and to someone new to working on jeeps, this can easily be mistaken for zero. granted, if you have a bent tie-rod due to a hit from a rock, that would change your toe-in but it would do so by giving you TOO MUCH.

when talking about caster, the change in degree is too small to require any change to your toe setting.
No offense taken, I know we all got different opinions.

I spent a 'ton' of time adjusting the toe on my primarily road driven stock-ish JK. I'm just a general motorhead and super picky about on road feel and handling. Passing along what worked for me, after a lot of trial and error.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

i just had an alignment done and they set the toe at 0.03".....when i brought it in it was set at 0.19".
That sounds done correctly. That .03 is pretty much what I'd hope to aim for on an alignment machine.

Last edited by yo_marc; 05-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

alright.thimk im gonna try the tf lca's since thats the brand lift im running.....what about the track bar...with a 2.5" lift is that necessary

Quick Reply: flighty steering which is best option