Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

flighty steering which is best option

Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flighty steering which is best option

Okay here it is 08 2Dr x....has 2.5 teraflex coil lift for 4dr. Made it a lil taller. Im running 35x12.50 18" rockstars.....
Option 1- dual steering stabilizer
Option 2- adjustable control arms or drop bracket
Option 3- have front end re adjusted....not sure where it is....after lift had steering wheel and toe set. Thinking 1/8 in toe and +6 -7 castor....and advice welcomed
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

I would get front lower adjustable control arms to adjust your caster. This will help eliminate that flighty feeling. If your budget allows it, you should also get an adjustable front track bar to recenter your front axle, unless you are not too picky about your axle being off to one side a bit......
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aldaman
I would get front lower adjustable control arms to adjust your caster. This will help eliminate that flighty feeling. If your budget allows it, you should also get an adjustable front track bar to recenter your front axle, unless you are not too picky about your axle being off to one side a bit......
what he said is spot on. at bare minimum, adjustable front lower control arms is what i would recommend to add a bit more positive caster. that will address your flightyness.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOL and addaman are absolutely right, get the LCA's and you will feel the difference inevitably, pretty easy install too!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Also, tire pressure makes a big difference. With a 4 inch lift, 37's and adjustable control arms my JK is still flighty if I pump up the tires too high.
I've settled on 26 psi. Any higher and it is flighty. Any lower and it wollers in the turns.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Alright guess I need adjustable lca's....what brand is recommended...also should I have this done by a professional or is it something I can do in the garage
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuckjkjeeper
i thought that the addition of adjustable control arms would only correct pinion angle and that i would need off-set/adjustable ball joints to correct castor/camber.....sorry for the newbie questions but this is all new to me.
you only set the pinion angle in the rear and for that, you need adjustable rear UPPER control arms to do it. up front, you need to put priority on caster and a set of adjustable front lowers will help you to do that. if you can afford to get front uppers as well, the optimal solution is to use the front lowers for what they are made for and correct the position of your front axle and then use adjustable front uppers to set your caster. camber is not something that you can normally adjust on a solid axle but, if your c's are bent, you can use adjustable ball joints to help fix it.

Originally Posted by jstrong394
Alright guess I need adjustable lca's....what brand is recommended...also should I have this done by a professional or is it something I can do in the garage
most any of the adjustable control arms sold by any of the sponsors on this forum will do the trick just fine. you can totally do this on your own and without even lifting your jeep off the ground.

1. place a floor jack under the pinion of your front axle - raise it up so that it's just holding it up.
2. starting on the driver side, remove control arm nut at the axle using a 21mm socket and wrench.
3. if the bolt does not slide out by hand with ease, slowly raise your jack just a bit until the bind is released. if you go too far, you will need to lower it back down. when you have it just right, the bolt will come out easily.
4. remove the control arm nut and bolt at the frame end using a 21mm socket and wrench.
5. leaving your jack exactly where it is, repeat steps 1-4 on the passenger side. again, raise and or lower your jack as needed to pull the bolt out from your axle mount.
6. set both your new adjustable control arms to 23" eye to eye.
7. loosely install your new driver side control arm onto the frame mount using the factory hardware
8. lower your jack as needed until you can align the mounting hole with that of your new lower control arm. secure it in place with the factory hardware.
9. repeat steps 7-8
10. tighten all your nuts and bolts to 125-130 ft. lbs. of torque.

that's all you need to do.

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

The adjustable control arms are key. If you castor is set correctly you won't even need a steering stabilizer. Frequently a stabilizer will just mask an even bigger problem. Definately go for the control arms.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed upper and lower Currie control arms with the grade 8 bolts. It is just a bolt on part, very easy! I noticed a world of difference.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

with my 2.5" tf lift, i was able to get rid of the flightiness with adjustable track bars. i haven't bought LCA's yet but thats still on my list.

Quick Reply: flighty steering which is best option