Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Flighty" steering.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is exactly what I am noticing and tried to explain in my other post. On perfectly level ground it goes as straight as can be but any little bump will send it off center and usually to the right. Not sure why it goes right but it does. I have the TF rear trackbar bracket and plan on installing it this weekend. From there should I look at control arms a front adjustable trackbar or both.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Post Flighty

Since I am more of a beach rider than a mountain climber, I don't need a hardcore set-up. What uppers would be cost effective and still get the job done on something like this? Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Assuming there is nothing functionally wrong with the steering, may I suggest a simple upgrade...change out the stock steering stabilizer...it is a weak looking unit...I went for a Fox Racing (a bit pricey, but worth every penny)...any of the manufacturers who make them for the JK will do...may solve this "flight of ideas"
Old 03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
Assuming there is nothing functionally wrong with the steering, may I suggest a simple upgrade...change out the stock steering stabilizer...it is a weak looking unit...I went for a Fox Racing (a bit pricey, but worth every penny)...any of the manufacturers who make them for the JK will do...may solve this "flight of ideas"
I jusy added a 4" SuperLift and 35x12.50 x17 this weekend and set the axle center and set toe to 1/8" inch and I am having the the exact same issues. It is really noticable at high speeds on the highway (65mph>). Everything I been reading leads to caster. Of course I called SuperLift before buyng the kit to ask them questions and this was never mentioned. I now know I have to spend another 269.00 to get this JK right to drive everyday.

I found a write up on the Project-JK website on how to adjust the caster once I put the adjustables in but seems a little tricky.

Has anyone ever heard of balancing the wheels while on the truck? I took mine to a shop that did this way and they said the wheels did not need any weights. Seemed funny to me.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by njjkrubi
Has anyone ever heard of balancing the wheels while on the truck? I took mine to a shop that did this way and they said the wheels did not need any weights. Seemed funny to me.
I'm not going to say it's not possible, but sounds like BS to me.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35's with no added weight required to balance? Stop whatever you're doing and get on a plane to Vegas... NOW 'cause you're the luckiest bastard on the planet!

Seriously, are you telling us that you have no weights on the wheels and no vibration or shimmy? Very rare indeed even with small street tires but unheard of with big off-road tires.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

I jusy added a 4" SuperLift and 35x12.50 x17 this weekend and set the axle center and set toe to 1/8" inch and I am having the the exact same issues. It is really noticable at high speeds on the highway (65mph>). Everything I been reading leads to caster. Of course I called SuperLift before buyng the kit to ask them questions and this was never mentioned. I now know I have to spend another 269.00 to get this JK right to drive everyday.

I found a write up on the Project-JK website on how to adjust the caster once I put the adjustables in but seems a little tricky.

Its called a road force balance and usually works pretty good. But I agree with the other posters, Im really suprised you do not need any weights!!

Adjusting the caster is not that bad. But It can be time consuming if you do not have a lift and you dont get it right on your first attempt. Just make sure your arms are the same length passenger to driverside and double check your measurements. I followed Eddie's write-up and I ended up at 5 degrees on my first attempt. It drives fine and handles alot better then it did before the arms went on, but Im gonna re-adj them another day to get it between 7-8 degrees and see how it drives.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RuBob
I haven't seen a road force balance like that. The ones I've seen are still a machine that you put just the wheel/tire on. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't seen it.
I probably shouldve added to my other post that I actually havent seen one yet either. The one tire place around me has one and a few friends of mine had mentioned it. Ive also read several posts on here where people had gotten their tires done on a machine like that.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same issues here after my 3" FT. I have fixed CAs, so I'm pretty sure that caster is causing my darting. Which CAs need to be adjustable to fix this? I don't have the cash to spend on adjustable uper & lower CAs. I love my Jeep, but I want to shoot myself when I'm driving it on the highway.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so I reread this write up. I only NEED to replace my front UPPER CA's to accomplish the right amount of caster? Or do I need LOWERS too?

Quick Reply: "Flighty" steering.