Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Flighty" steering.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post "Flighty" steering.

I have heard and read different things about flighty and overly sensitive steering after a lift. As I am only doing a 2.5" rough country lift, should I see this phenomena? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

We had the Tera 2.5 BB and did notice a little dartiness. But honestly, it was barely noticable, and only if I was paying attention to it. We ran the Tera BB for about 10K and a few long road trips without any issues.

I would install the lift and see how you like it. You can always add a rear trackbar relocation bracket and front adj bar later if you think they are needed.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have flighty steering and i'm bone stock right now. Sure hope it doesn't get worse with the lift.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PAHUNTER21
I have flighty steering and i'm bone stock right now. Sure hope it doesn't get worse with the lift.
well that's cause you have a 2dr, my wife old TJ was very flighty on the highway. Cant fight physics!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default flighty

I have the 2.5 with 3/4" spacers on top of it for a total of 3.25 in the front. I got the adjustable upper control arms, set my caster to 6 degrees following WOL's write up and mine handles better than the day I drove it off the lot with 35's it tracks nice and straight even over dirt road bumps. I wound up making the arms 1/4 inch shorter than stock.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by brentevers
I have heard and read different things about flighty and overly sensitive steering after a lift. As I am only doing a 2.5" rough country lift, should I see this phenomena? Thanks.
I have the RC lift and noticed a definite loss of on-center feel. It's especially noticeable at higher speeds on windy days--rather common here in Oklahoma! I was thinking of fooling with the toe in, but perhaps something else is needed first? Suggestions, anyone?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default steering

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have the RC lift and noticed a definite loss of on-center feel. It's especially noticeable at higher speeds on windy days--rather common here in Oklahoma! I was thinking of fooling with the toe in, but perhaps something else is needed first? Suggestions, anyone?
adjustable front upper arms and 6 degrees of caster
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Mine drives better now with the 4" lift.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 rubi and it was a bit touchy before i got my 2.5bb. After the lift it got a little more touchy but not a whole lot. Mostly in wind, I hit a wind pocket the other day and nearly got sent into the next lane.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any lift changes the pitch angle of the front axle relative to the pavement which affects caster. The stock configuration is fixed at 4 degrees of caster. After my OME lift install the allignment tech noted that my caster angle was 2 degrees which resulted in the Jeep wandering off center a bit more noticably. It's not so bad that I've been pushed to correct it but I will eventually add adjustable upper or lower front control arms so that I can dial in more caster and tighten the handling on road.

Changing toe-in won't do it and will increase tire wear. Toe is the measure of how much the front tires are set pointed toward each other, caster is the measurement of where that toe is pointed - straight ahead (0 degrees) or down (4-7 degrees seems to work best).

Quick Reply: "Flighty" steering.