Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flex testing at home

Old 02-25-2021, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Flex testing at home

I need to flex my Jeep and check tire clearances now that I moved to 37’s. My new 37’s are a solid 3” taller than my mostly worn 35’s. With my older tires, I had a little over an inch of space all around at full stuff but I need to verify I’m not hitting anything.

I can try jack stands on the axles at opposing corners but I’m not sure I’ll get enough movement that way. Shy of a forklift that isn’t available at a typical house, how are you guys flexing the Jeep at home to check clearances?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've used jack stands on opposite corners like you mention but to cheat and get more movement with less height, I'll pull off the tire that's drooping so you can about set that rotor on the ground. The other helpful piece is to pull the shocks so that the coils will move more freely. Just make sure you take measurements while it's sitting that way so you can figure up bump/ limit straps as needed. I'll have to dig around and see if I've got any pictures from when I did this- in a standard height garage no less.

I'm struggling to recall if I started with 6 ton stands at the frame and then used the jack from there since you know the travel on the shocks so it'll only drop so far but allow you to pick up the corners without being a death trap.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do just the opposite of karls10jk. I remove the springs and put the shocks back on. I do pull one tire (the side that is drooping). You have to support the jeep with 6 ton stands (4). I put 6x6 ties under the stands as well to get them up 6 more inches. I have two 3 ton jack stands and two jacks as well. Just be careful. Don't get under the jeep while doing it. Always throw the extra tire under the Jeep and other items as well if it were to come down it won't go all the way down.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a buddy with a forklift I also know of a few places in the area with loading ramps or retaining walls with a nice gradual incline/decline. I may have used them at various times to check for interference by rolling up a foot, hopping out and looking, and rolling another foot. It's not the safest but it got the job done. I've also used the snow plowed into piles to stuff the tires and get a peek. The snow is nice because you can have someone crank the wheels lock to lock without worrying about the Jeep falling down, but visibility is limited.

Stuffed!

Pinch seam clearance
Old 02-26-2021, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I've attempted to do this in the driveway with jacks, stands, etc....even removing tires for clearance. It was sketchy AF IMO, and I wouldn't do it again. There is a dude around the corner from me that passed away (he was one creepy dude) that owned a fork lift. I told my wife we need to look for an estate sale and she asked why.......and I said I'm buying that forklift!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, I’m not fond of taking wheels, springs, etc off for flex testing. I had the wheels, springs, and shocks off when I tested the flex of the passenger front when I notched my frame. That wasn’t bad but I’m not about to do that for all 4 corners, besides, I need the wheels and shocks on to test clearances of everything. I definitely don’t want to take the wheel off of the drooping side, that seems a little sketchy to me.

I may just get a 2 ton engine hoist from harbor freight and lift each wheel with a heavy strap on the wheel and engine hoist. One corner at a time for checking everything out.

Id love a forklift but that’s not gonna happen...
Old 02-26-2021, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

It's not bad at all if you remove the coils. Actually forgot to mention I picked up a set of 12 tons stands at Northern tool for $100. Those are nice to really get it up in the air.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I can always find something to flex on. Loading dock, rock quarry, ditch, retaining wall... Get creative. Check brake lines, ABS wires, steering linkage, shock travel, everything you can think of while you're there.

This is a local rock quarry outside a really expensive housing edition. I go there every time I make any changes to my suspension because it's a 15 minute drive. Speaking of which, I need to drive back over to check everything out since adding high-steer and rear long arms a couple of weeks ago.

If all else fails, diagonal across a ditch works too. Plenty of room to crawl around under the Jeep and check everything out.

Last edited by hivoltagedriver; 02-26-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
I can always find something to flex on. Loading dock, rock quarry, ditch, retaining wall... Get creative. Check brake lines, ABS wires, steering linkage, shock travel, everything you can think of while you're there.

This is a local rock quarry outside a really expensive housing edition. I go there every time I make any changes to my suspension because it's a 15 minute drive. Speaking of which, I need to drive back over to check everything out since adding high-steer and rear long arms a couple of weeks ago.

If all else fails, diagonal across a ditch works too. Plenty of room to crawl around under the Jeep and check everything out.

That’s all well and good but I won’t want to have sheet metal cut into my new tires just to find out I need to cut sheet metal out of the way. I’d rather just find a way to flex test in the driveway, I’ll try out the engine hoist deal and post up if it works or not. I’ve done it before but not on a vehicle with as much travel as my Jeep has.

Plus, I may have to flex test, cut, flex test, cut, etc.. for multiple cycles while I work on the Jeep. I’d rather not waste shop time with driving to my local flex area.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
Yea, I’m not fond of taking wheels, springs, etc off for flex testing. I had the wheels, springs, and shocks off when I tested the flex of the passenger front when I notched my frame. That wasn’t bad but I’m not about to do that for all 4 corners, besides, I need the wheels and shocks on to test clearances of everything. I definitely don’t want to take the wheel off of the drooping side, that seems a little sketchy to me.

I may just get a 2 ton engine hoist from harbor freight and lift each wheel with a heavy strap on the wheel and engine hoist. One corner at a time for checking everything out.

Id love a forklift but that’s not gonna happen...

I didn't mention, when I pull the coils out I only do one axle at a time. If I'm working on the front the back tires, coils, shocks all stay on; and the tires are on the ground. Good luck sir. Hope you can get it done somehow or another.

Quick Reply: Flex testing at home