Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flex and bump stop question

Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex and bump stop question

I'm currently running my AEV 2.5" lift and just got my 35's put on. Now for my question. Theoretically, If I put flat fenders on, would I be able to remove the AEV bump stops and leave the factory bump stops and gain more up-travel? My curious mind is at work

Last time I was in the sand, I hit an unexpected jump and the front end hit the bumpstops.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

As long as you still have coil and shock travel left, then you should be fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Should be fine, when i put my lift on i didnt use the extended bumpstops. Test flex first to make sure though!

Not only do they keep from over compressing they also help to keep the spring from over flexing and popping out
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bump stops are there to prevent you from destroying your shocks. If you put on longer shocks or moved the stock shocks using brackets you will end up using your shock as a bump stop and smash it.

On taller lifts added track bar brackets, flipped drag links and other suspension parts will get smashed.

The only way to tell for sure is to take the springs out and see how far you can go before something bad happens. That said, it isn't going to help your situation much. If you want to jump your Jeep you want to look into air bump stops. Then look into gussets, sleeves and a truss or an aftermarket housing cause the axles aren't gonna take that abuse for long.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what i was afraid of. I don't intend on jumping, it was just something that happened on a fishing trip.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by theZombie
That's what i was afraid of. I don't intend on jumping, it was just something that happened on a fishing trip.
That must have been one hell of a fishing trip.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
That must have been one hell of a fishing trip.

Haha yah. 60 Miles of strait coast to fish. The fun part is driving to perfect spot
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by keithvegas
The only way to tell for sure is to take the springs out and see how far you can go before something bad happens.
this.. remove springs. cycle suspension. u will be able to determine exactly how much bump stop you need and install accordingly. this is the ONLY way to properly get as much "stuff" as your setup will allow without causing any damage/rubbing.

Quick Reply: Flex and bump stop question