Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

flex arms

Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex arms

what are the benefits of having flex control arms with a 2.5 in lift? how much more flex do you typically get? how much more would one gain with additional upper flex arms? would upper flex arms be at all necessary with a 2.5 inch lift?.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Adjustable Control Arms are used to set the caster after a lift, to set driveshaft angles, and for axle positioning if you get both sets. 'Flex Arm' is just the name of TeraFlex's adjustable arms...

Read this one in the Suspension FAQ's:
"Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?"
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Adjustable Control Arms are used to set the caster after a lift, to set driveshaft angles, and for axle positioning if you get both sets. 'Flex Arm' is just the name of TeraFlex's adjustable arms...

Read this one in the Suspension FAQ's:
"Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?"
So, adjustable control arms dont necessarily give more flex or articulation?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

No, it's just easier to adjust your caster, and axle angles.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The joints may be more flexable than the stock ones.
And if you get both sets of arms, they will be set longer than the stock arms to account for the added height of the lift, so I imagine you could get a bit more travel that the stocks?

But, you get them for the caster adjustment and driveshaft angles, any increased flex/travel (if there is any) is a bonus...
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The joints may be more flexable than the stock ones.
And if you get both sets of arms, they will be set longer than the stock arms to account for the added height of the lift, so I imagine you could get a bit more travel that the stocks?

But, you get them for the caster adjustment and driveshaft angles, any increased flex/travel (if there is any) is a bonus...
Ahh i see. nicely put. so would upper arms be necessary or beneficial to attain a proper caster angle for a 2.5 in lift? i read that they would be for a 3 inch lift.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The higher you lift, the lower the caster gets. (causing flightyness/bumpsteer/etc) Do you 'need' to fix it? Up to you, it's a personal preference - everyone has their own tolerance for non-stock handling, and will have their own opinion on the need.

I haven't had a 2.5" lift, so can't comment on your setup. However, at 3.25", I hated the flightyness. Caster correction was not an option for me, it was needed. (If you browse around some more, you'll find people with higher lifts that say the handling is fine, and adjustables are a waste of money. I think they are clueless, but they are entitled to their opinions... )

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

The flex joints on the aftermarket control arms reduce the amount of binding while flexing, putting less stress on the control arm brackets.

Quick Reply: flex arms