Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flat today. What would you do?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat today. What would you do?

Well i've been running Nitto Trail Grapplers for about 18k now without any issues and have been an amazing tire. I bought them through a friend at Walmart along with the lifetime warranty. Well today as I was going to lunch I hear a hissing sound. After a walk around I found out my tire had a puncture from a nail in the sidewall, tire can't be saved according to Walmart if its on the sidewall. I should of used the GOV'T vehicle instead as that wouldnt be coming out of my pocket, haha. So my $10 warranty saves me from having to spend $310 on a brand new tire as it will be pro rated from what tread is left on the with that was punctured. I have had a spare on the back, but never rotated it in because it was a BFG KM2 that I got a steal on CL for $200. So as of now I am currently running that spare until the new tire comes in tomorrow. I was tempted to buy 4 more tires and then having a full set of 5 again, but wanted some opinions from others on this. Should I at least buy a 2nd tire to have 2 new and 2 used, or just go with another full set, then have 2 garage spares and the 3rd one kept mounted as the new spare? Who would just run a new tire with 3 other used ones?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pfft cant be saved. just pull it out and put some super glue arround the head of it and push it back in and BAM its its own plug. My old truck had 43 nails total in both rear tires when i finally had them replaced. they were doing construction on new housing in my area and apparently they just threw those dam things all over the road.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Well the tire is going to be here tomorrow, so I will at least pay the pro rated price for that one. Just trying to figure out what I should do with the rest or how I should run them.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep the old tire. Go to 4 wheel parts, or where ever, and get a patch kit and patch it.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

it was on the sidewall, from my understanding is this can not be done? Not sure how well it would be when airing down to 10psi for the trails or rocks.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
it was on the sidewall, from my understanding is this can not be done? Not sure how well it would be when airing down to 10psi for the trails or rocks.
correct. I would not use a tire that had the sidewall patched. to get off the trail sure but to run on the highway nope. Side walls do not have the cords/structure to make a safe fix. Google it.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is I wouldn't run a tire with a sidewall puncture. It is not really hard to patch them if necessary, but wouldn't recommend it.

When I was doing road calls on 18 wheelers and loaders we would get flat calls multiple times a day. To save a customer money I would patch or plug just about anything to make it work and get it off the side of the road.

Truthfully I've patched 100s of 11R22.5 on the sidewalls every brand every foreign material imaginable. If it's a gash in the sidewall, glass, metal, forget about it.

But from my experience A well done patch that's buffed, cleaned, cemented and sealed will work.

But getting that new tire was a very wise choice.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I have read in another thread you can get over 100,000 miles on those. I would not buy another set.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a puncture in the sidewall a few years ago on a tire. They vulcanized it and I just kept it a a spare. Never did use it though.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
correct. I would not use a tire that had the sidewall patched. to get off the trail sure but to run on the highway nope. Side walls do not have the cords/structure to make a safe fix. Google it.
This was my exact thoughts, running at highway speeds and having it bust on me.

Originally Posted by sa29560
Funny thing is I wouldn't run a tire with a sidewall puncture. It is not really hard to patch them if necessary, but wouldn't recommend it.

But getting that new tire was a very wise choice.
Yes, I'm glad I got the new tire. Long run it cost me $125 to include the new warranty, lifetime balance, and tax. I guess ill run 3 used and one new. Can't even tell the difference to be honest. Just run these into the ground and use the newest one as a spare when buying a new set or sell it to someone else for a spare if I go to 37s.

Originally Posted by catahoula
From what I have read in another thread you can get over 100,000 miles on those. I would not buy another set.
Yeah that definitely won't happen here. I wheel with mine and have left thread out on the trails. lol

Quick Reply: Flat today. What would you do?