Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flat flares, are they "permanent"?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat flares, are they "permanent"?

I was wondering whether you could go back to the factory flares after installing something like the Bushwacker flat flares? Specifically I was thinking about the inner part that needs to be cut. Since I've never had it apart I don't really understand how it all fits together.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I have them, any you may be able to go back to stock if you are careful removing the stockers. After you cut the inner liners, i don't think the factory ones would "pin" them down anymore...but should be able to go back on. Since I'm here in tucson, you can check mine out if you want...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You def can not go back once you cut them, however I am sure you could find some for very cheap here on the forum. Why buy them when you can make your own though!!!???
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

It depends. You won't be able to reinstall the fender pants with the factory flares if you cut them for the bushwackers, but you can still put the stock flares back on without them. The only is that you will break some of the mounting clips when you remove the stock flares, so you may need to new clips if you don't have enough.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

The pants are the liners that keep mud out of the engine?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mastiff
The pants are the liners that keep mud out of the engine?
Yes, they help. The bushwackers are the only flares I've seen that retain them though. It's no big deal if you can't put them back on.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Rugged Ridge flares? Here is part of their description

"Finally, because no cutting or drilling is required, if you ever want to switch back to your original factory flares, there’s no problem! "

They may not be the strongest aftermarket flare available but they do offer the flat style with the ability to move back to stock if you want.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
What about the Rugged Ridge flares? Here is part of their description

"Finally, because no cutting or drilling is required, if you ever want to switch back to your original factory flares, there’s no problem! "

They may not be the strongest aftermarket flare available but they do offer the flat style with the ability to move back to stock if you want.
True, but that's because they don't retain the factory fender pants, so there's no trimming involved.

It's up to you what you want to do. I say the best thing is to check out some jeeps in person equipped with aftermarket flares and then spend your money when you're confident you see something you like. Factory flare are easy to replace because so many people out there are switching to aftermarket ones. Plus, it's likely you won't want to go back anyway!

Quick Reply: Flat flares, are they "permanent"?