Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Flat Fenders to go with?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Xenons

One of our area guys came back from a long trip to find that the family had parked his Jeep, with aftermarket plastic Xenon's installed, in the sun too long. Here's what he came back to:

Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
One of our area guys came back from a long trip to find that the family had parked his Jeep, with aftermarket plastic Xenon's installed, in the sun too long. Here's what he came back to:

DAMN! That sucks. I know that Xenons used to have a problem with sagging from the sun but from what I know they now have an inner brace that prevents this.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should chop your fenders first, the price is right. And if you don't like the look you can buy some flat fenders.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiKing
You should chop your fenders first, the price is right. And if you don't like the look you can buy some flat fenders.
I wish I'd thought of or seen this cut-method before I jumped on the Xenon flares. The Xenon is okay, looks good, but I'd go with some MADE IN USA steel flares if the cut doesn't go well!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

those xenon ones really warped! wow that sucks. not sure what to do now. cant really make my own, not really gifted in that department. the pocket style bushwackers look nice but not for me. flat fenders look more aggressive and give the appearance of a bigger lift.
also heard that the pocket style can cause rubbing when offroading and the tire comes up because you lose clearance.

what are the pros and cons of a steel fender over a plastic fender?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was all set to pull the trigger on the Xenon's until I saw that pic. I need wider than stock for a future setup. Laws in NH are pretty strict so I think I"ll still go with the Xenon wides, just need to keep them out of the sun. I'd be interested to know if Xenon will warranty that mess.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the zenon narrows, brace under the front flares, no worries. But, even the narrow rears have sagged in the middle abit. If I had it to do over again, I woulda just did a stock fender chop and saved $500. I dunno if I'd put metal ones on unless they were ones that changed out the whole quarter panel.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brother ika
those xenon ones really warped! wow that sucks. not sure what to do now. cant really make my own, not really gifted in that department. the pocket style bushwackers look nice but not for me. flat fenders look more aggressive and give the appearance of a bigger lift.
also heard that the pocket style can cause rubbing when offroading and the tire comes up because you lose clearance.

what are the pros and cons of a steel fender over a plastic fender?
i had a set of river raider tube fenders, strong and nicely built. if you bump anything with the metal fenders it will "wave" or dent your stock sheet metal. alot of my friends just cut the stock fenders. take your time and tape off the fenders right, then cut! if you don't like the look, buy some aftermarket ones.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've have the narrow xenons for 3 years now and they don't warp in the sun or sag at all. You do have to be careful when you install them since they don't mount to a flat surface it is very easy to pull the center of the rears down with the bolts. The only issue I have with mine is their painted to match the Jeep and when rocks fly off the tire and hit the underside it cracks the paint on the outside. Before anyone starts bashing my body shop guy no that I've bent and twisted these things around numerous trees and have never lost any paint.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

If i chop my stock fenders it still won't take care of the issue of my tires sticking out wider than the fenders or the constant dirt being thrown up the side. Strange that there are very few options if you want a little bit more tire coverage than stock. And the one option there is , Xenon, is good only if you drive at night or live in a cave!

I have this sick feeling in my stomach on having to spend money on a product with known problems.

Quick Reply: Which Flat Fenders to go with?