Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flat Fender Pictures & Info

Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genright aluminum on mine

Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may cut the stockers on my way to something else. I saw some MCs on a JK in the hood that looked real nice. Any opinions on those?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my favorite debates! I got sucked into the plastic fender love. Works great - if you don't off road much. Within 6 months of owning my 2013 JK I had ripped off two fenders and dented the tub (yeah, plastic doesn't always flex like you'd think).

People like to crap on metal fenders because they "will cause more damage." Depends which you buy! Poison Spyder are connected to the frame. If you bend your body with those on, the outlook for your Jeep is not good.

Fact: body damage in JKs (even dents) are very hard to repair. No idea what your plans are for your Jeep, but if you want to wheel it, do it right. I got sick of damage and having to baby my Jeep on the trail. Metal fenders and plate steel for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1596261871.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	533937 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2063060130.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	533938

Last edited by Invest2m4; 02-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
One of my favorite debates! I got sucked into the plastic fender love. Works great - if you don't off road much. Within 6 months of owning my 2013 JK I had ripped off two fenders and dented the tub (yeah, plastic doesn't always flex like you'd think).

People like to crap on metal fenders because they "will cause more damage." Depends which you buy! Poison Spyder are connected to the frame. If you bend your body with those on, the outlook for your Jeep is not good.

Fact: body damage in JKs (even dents) are very hard to repair. No idea what your plans are for your Jeep, but if you want to wheel it, do it right. I got sick of damage and having to baby my Jeep on the trail. Metal fenders and plate steel for me!

Attachment 533937 Attachment 533938
^^ I've found this to be true

I've had a few minor tree "kisses" before on tight trails... but last month we did a snow run and on one fairly small casual hill the snow was fairly well packed down and had become very icy and slippery; I approached it a little too slowly and didn't give myself the momentum needed to make it over the top, which then immediately resulted in me sliding backwards and slightly sideways back down... right into a tree, with a direct hit to my passenger side rear fender flare. I jumped out expecting to see a missing or damaged fender flare or a big dent in the tub... but all I did was scrape off some of the bedliner I used on the edges of the flares.

I'd have to think that any impact strong enough for a metal flare to actually add to/increase the resulting damage, was already going to mess your jeep up no matter what you'd put in between it.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Attachment 533937 Attachment 533938
Which ones are these? poison spyder?

***********nevermind those are metalcloak love 'em

Last edited by Canadian JK; 02-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

I've been reading every thread about flat fenders because my new tires will tear off my factory fenders...

I have read reports of people having metal flats damaging thei bodywork, but that was while back, I'm thinking that metal flats aren't all constructed the same and half of the flat fenders weren't around six months ago.

But I have real world issue, the only decent flat fenders that I've seen with the required, in my state and many others, yellow light on the side of the front fenders, are the Bushwackers...

have i I missed a metal flat fender that has a built in yellow light on the sides of the front fenders?

I drive off-road more than most, but that is still a small percentage of the Jeeps mileage...

My 37's won't pass inspection between the tread sticking out and the ride height being 2" above the stats frame height limit, but all I have to do is to swap out the 37' for the original tiny factory wheels for just one day a year, for inspection.

I can't swap fenders...isn't anybody who makes steel flat fenders listening?

matthew
Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blackrubi13
that looks awesome are those 35s with a 3 inch lift ?
37s with a 3 inch lift. also had to do some add'l pinch seam trim as well as trimming of the wheel well liner near the pinch seam.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
have i I missed a metal flat fender that has a built in yellow light on the sides of the front fenders?
Does it have to be on the actual fender or would this spot be okay?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Does it have to be on the actual fender or would this spot be okay?

That is the first non plastic flat fender I've seen with what appears to be a mounted in place light, vs the couple I've seen that truly looked like led lights dangling off of a Christmas tree!

Who makes that flat fender and is that light included or did you set it up?

I'll have to go back and read the language of the inspection specs...

Half the problem is that it's up to the person doing the inspection...

I have met one guy and asked him some questions to try and clarify, he really seemed like his goal was to see how many things he could find even though it just takes one.

I know guys with a bunch of things that could fail and they had no problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
JK Junkie

I just went and looked at some of the newer flat fenders and they all to be too narrow...maybe it's just my state but the fender must cover all of the tires tread.

Even with my skinny factory wheels most of the flat fenders won't do this, I know that the Bushwackers are wide enough.

The poison spyder ones sound like a great design, but they won't cover the factory tread.

matthew

Quick Reply: Flat Fender Pictures & Info