Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flashpaq Settings

Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashpaq Settings

Just got around to playing with my Superchips Flashpaq and was wondering what settings others were using. They offer a variety of settings; factory, performance, 87 octane, etc... I chose the Economy setting also setting my gear ratio and tire size. Then I found the fan setting and dropped those both by 13 degrees. The shifting of the A/T really looks good so far. I'm wheeling it on Imogene, Ophir and possibly Black Bear tomorrow and taking it over the mountain passes to visit the boys at Tuffy on Monday. Will have a much better idea about it then.

I was just wondering what settings the rest of you were choosing when you programmed your JK's. And what are the results?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sets the factory settings automatically, then you can adjust the tire size if necessary to adjust your spedo. Play with all the settings with various gas and see which you like best. I am currently running economy with 89 octane. That netted me 21.5 gal last week with about 4 hours of trail/wheeling, highway, city and slow mountain driving. Not bad...
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine last week and so far am not happy with it. It's missing many of the options advertised on Superchips site. Even in the manual it shows: 87 Performance, 91 Performance, and 93 Performance. Mine does not have 87 Performance (only 87 Octane which states its for 91 Octane vehicles that want to run 87).

I also have no options for any of the shifting. I've upgraded the software online and talked with Tech Support with no luck. They were supposed to call me back the next day (last Wednesday) and I still haven't heard back. I'm running the Economy setting and currently getting 14.5mpg mostly city.

I hope they can figure out what's wrong with it. I'll have to call again on Monday to see why they're not calling me back.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't speak for them but many companies - especially manufacturing companies - shut down for the week of the 4th of July for company vacations. Otherwise, everyone I've ever dealt with at Flashpaq or people I've spoken to about them, have been more than pleased and satisfied.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running on the 93 octane setting and enjoying the cruise control again with my 6 speed, 4.10 gears, and 35" Toyos.

Rarely on the secondary roads around here, with the cruise set at 65mph do I have to downshift to 5th on the long grades.
Same for the interstate at 75-80mph, a downshift to 5th is not common.
Usually if you plan ahead, you can get your speed up on the secondary roads before a long grade, about 70mph, and a downshift isn't even needed. Not always an option in traffic, however. And as stable as the Jeep is at 80+mph speeds, you're probably pushing your luck sprinting up to 85-90mph on the interstate to get up momentum for the rare difficult uphill grades.

Only getting about 15mpg but that's with a lot of 80mph interstate cruising. I've also been haulin' butt around here, winding 1st out to 3.5K, then 2cnd to 4K, then whatever you want in 3rd, and cruising in 4th, 5th, or 6th.
With the Flashpaq, AEM intake, and the Volant exhaust, the little 2 door just wants to run and run. The 3.8 is much much happier in the 3-5K range now, but lugs along at even down under 2K just fine. It's an almost fierce little engine, and gives a pretty satisfying sound from the intake and exhaust. Clearly, this is how the little V6 should run from the factory. It might not be a dragster, but it handles those minivans just fine!
I'd estimate that normal driving, secondary speeds of 60mph, would net about 17-18mpg. If I lived in Asheville, NC, I'd regear it for sure, but here in Eastern Georgia the 4.10 gearing isn't bad, and cruising at 80mph on the interstate is at a satisfactory 2800-2900 rpm.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Seer what coolant temps have you been hitting? I know you've been running hot too and I notice your winch blocks air flow like mine did. I got my new shrockworks mounted that drops my winch down and I am running a LOT cooler, highest temp I hit was 208 on the highway, low setting for fan on set at 209. I was running 219-226 before on highway and over that on some mountain highway climbs.

I'm using 87 octane setting and 5.13s and 34.25 for my tires. I really love the superchips
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Hey Seer what coolant temps have you been hitting? I know you've been running hot too and I notice your winch blocks air flow like mine did. I got my new shrockworks mounted that drops my winch down and I am running a LOT cooler, highest temp I hit was 208 on the highway, low setting for fan on set at 209. I was running 219-226 before on highway and over that on some mountain highway climbs.

I'm using 87 octane setting and 5.13s and 34.25 for my tires. I really love the superchips
We have been at war with the high temp haven't we? I also just put in a Shrockworks middy to get that winch down below the grill. Screamin Lizard really came through on that one. Today it was 90 degrees and I barely topped 200. That's about 10 degrees cooler than normal. I also put in a B&M Hitec powered trans cooler and barely broke 160 on that. I'll have a bunch of info in a couple of days both on and off road. I'll be going up and down several thousand feet and doing some decent crawling. So far I'm very hopeful.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
We have been at war with the high temp haven't we? I also just put in a Shrockworks middy to get that winch down below the grill. Screamin Lizard really came through on that one. Today it was 90 degrees and I barely topped 200. That's about 10 degrees cooler than normal. I also put in a B&M Hitec powered trans cooler and barely broke 160 on that. I'll have a bunch of info in a couple of days both on and off road. I'll be going up and down several thousand feet and doing some decent crawling. So far I'm very hopeful.
dude you are copying me, I got mine from SLC too

sounds like the same temps I am running now
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Can't speak for them but many companies - especially manufacturing companies - shut down for the week of the 4th of July for company vacations. Otherwise, everyone I've ever dealt with at Flashpaq or people I've spoken to about them, have been more than pleased and satisfied.
It was after the 4th. It was actually the 8th and nearly everyone is back to work then. Besides, he said they'd call "next day at the latest" so I was hoping same day or the next day. Still no word. I'll try them again on Monday.

So I'm assuming everyone else has the "87 Performance" option and can change the shift points and firmness on their autos?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

400 miles on the Superchip now and I'm a happy man. I used the Economizer settings plus tire size, r&p and the fan settings option. All of this driving was at least 6500 feet up to 13,114 feet. I put in a full day on the trail yesterday and my temp gauge went to 213 once during a rather long and tortuous climb. Other than that it stayed between 195 and 205. That's pretty much a 15 degree difference over the stock settings. I don't know if the chip is playing games or what, but my mpg went up 2.5 gallons (not sure I really trust that though.) Didn't notice an increase in power, but it behaved a little better on the paved mountain passes. The shift points were lower and smoother. The lag on the accelerator pedal is gone. Guess I shoulda bought one of these things sooner.

Quick Reply: Flashpaq Settings