Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flashpaq data acquisition?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashpaq data acquisition?

Searching the 'net for flashpaq info it says the beyond their "data logging" package they have an "Advanced data acquisition" package.

Does anyone know if this is available for the JK. Can someone tell me what parameters can be logged?

I have noticed that on the several occasions I get my Jeep back from the dealer it feels much quicker, has better throttle response and my post shift hesitation is gone. After driving it for about 50 miles it goes back to normal (more sluggish).

I'm guessing the dealer resets the ECU. But then I'm thinking that the learned fuel trims and knock correction factors adjust during the initial driving and that's why it goes back to the way it was.

I'd love to be able to see the fuel trims and knock correction factors and was hoping I could do this through the Advanced Data Acquisition.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to go out and look, but the wife pealed away in the JK.

Anyway, as I recall there are fuel trim readings to see if you are running lean or rich. I also believe there is some stuff with the knock sensors, but not 100% sure and I could be getting it confused with the SC on my truck.

What you suggested about the reflash by the dealer could well be true. Watch out for gas with Ethanol which always seems to degrade my performance, and it takes another half tankful to get it straightened out. If I'm stuck somewhere and don't have a choice, I'll bump the Octane rating up a grade as gasoline has a lower flashpoint.

While I have looked at these numbers with some curiosity, I'm not really all that sure what they buy me. The Flashpaq does not provide customizable tuning and only a range of presets for various Octanes, Towing and Economy. For most of us these canned tunes are all we ever want or need and if you are really looking for customizable tuning you should wait for SCT or Diablo.

That said, I'll take a glance this evening and post a full run down of what's there unless someone beats me to it.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Thanks JPop. For me these numbers would be useful to identify a mechanical or as your pointed out fuel problem.

If I see that fuel trims and knock corrections are neutral after a reflash but then go to the extremes I'll know I have an issue. I'm amazed at home much more responsive my jeep feels when the dealer resets the ECU.

I have already had a cracked exhaust manifold. I'm wondering if it may have cracked again and that may be affecting long term fuel trim.

Another possibility is poor fuel which I suspect would show up as a lot of knock correction.

Lastly when I used to tune Subaru WRXs it's possible that certain engine noises trigger false knocks. My jeep has a wicked clutch clank. I'd be curious if this might be causing a false knock which again would show up as a large knock correction value (and significantly reduced ignition timing).

Any info you could provide about what parameter can be logged would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

OK, Here's a brief run down, with some things that I didn't make notes of but I think I have all your bases covered.

Engine Misc

• Engine Temperature
• Intake Manifold Pressure
• Engine RPM
• Tiiming Advance
• Intake Air Temperature
• Throttle Position

Fuel Trim

Time and Distance

Lots of stuff here, 0-60, 1/4mile, 60 foot times and so on.

Oxygen Sensors

Misc Non Engine

Barometric Pressure, Fuel Level, Temperature and some other items.

EGR

Catalyst Temperature

Throttle Detail

I hope that helps!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Thanks JPop! That sounds like it does what I'm looking for.

You have a 6 speed right? Did you have the post-shift hesitation when you were stock? If so did the flashpaq get rid of it?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Thanks JPop! That sounds like it does what I'm looking for.

You have a 6 speed right? Did you have the post-shift hesitation when you were stock? If so did the flashpaq get rid of it?
It did for me. The trans shifts much firmer with the Superchip!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I don't feel as though I need to be up on the clutch as much and can drop my shift point rpms a bit, but it's kind of hard to quantify. As most people with a manual transmission I think you find yourself driving more by feel than looking at the tach. Before I would say shifting and ending up at 1500 rpms was pretty painful so I didn't do it much. Now it's a little different and perhaps the penalty isn't as much but again it's hard to quantify.

By my estimates and a little seat of the pants feel I am making the same power as stock at about 2-300 rpms lower than before. Where I might have felt comfortable stock cruising at 35mph in third around 2300 rpm, I might find myself feeling OK with 1800 rpms in 4th with the Flashpaq tune. Again though, it's all more by feel than looking at the tach and seeing where I'm at.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JPop
I don't feel as though I need to be up on the clutch as much and can drop my shift point rpms a bit, but it's kind of hard to quantify. As most people with a manual transmission I think you find yourself driving more by feel than looking at the tach. Before I would say shifting and ending up at 1500 rpms was pretty painful so I didn't do it much. Now it's a little different and perhaps the penalty isn't as much but again it's hard to quantify.

By my estimates and a little seat of the pants feel I am making the same power as stock at about 2-300 rpms lower than before. Where I might have felt comfortable stock cruising at 35mph in third around 2300 rpm, I might find myself feeling OK with 1800 rpms in 4th with the Flashpaq tune. Again though, it's all more by feel than looking at the tach and seeing where I'm at.

I hope that helps.
People haven't been talking about them much for a few days, so this is just a bump as I should receive mine Monday or Tues. of next week. How are they working now? Upgrades ok? Has Superchips fixed a lot of the problems? Anything else I should know about?
Thanks....
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
People haven't been talking about them much for a few days, so this is just a bump as I should receive mine Monday or Tues. of next week. How are they working now? Upgrades ok? Has Superchips fixed a lot of the problems? Anything else I should know about?
Thanks....
I can say that I like driving my auto JK a lot better now! It really did make a difference for me. $ well spent and Scott from Superchips is the man!

Quick Reply: Flashpaq data acquisition?