Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Flashcal Tips?

Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadyToMount
I am not a fan of TPMS personally, especially when it comes to offroad vehicles. However we stock and sell lots of them. Not many for the Jeepers. I would suggest at least the Flashcal to "turn off the TPMS" you could use this time to get the Flashpaq to have some tuning options. It is good to dial in tire size and if you change gearing that can be fixed for proper mph and tranny shifting. It is simple plug and play procedures for the Jeep and programmer updates.
ALERT: I used my new Trail Dash 2 from Superchips the first time yesterday. It showed the gear ratio as 3.73. Since my 2012 Rubicon came from the factory with 4.10s I changed it to 4.10s. The Trail Dash 2 warned me not to change it if I hadn't changed gears. When I drove it I was doing 4500 rpm at 75 mph rather than 2500 and the select shift up and down on my auto didn't seem to be working. I reset to factory through the settings menu and all was fine again. I talked to Superchips tech and they said for stock the 3.73s is just a placeholder and it shouldn't be changed if you haven't actually changed gears. If the Flashpaq is the same, be forewarned.

I also bought an F5 Ford Flashpaq for my F-150. The tune select didn't include a stock w/ option choice to use for tire size change. I talked to Superchips tech and for my F-150, select the 87 octane tune then it asks if you want to customize options. When you select OK the tire size change is on the list. Don't know if its the same for the JK, but heads up just in case.

I did have a hard time determining the serial numbers at first, then learned it's the bottom number on the sticker on the back side of the unit.

In my case calling Superchips Tech early in the morning worked fine. Only one caller ahead of me and the tech knew right away what to tell me for both the Trail Dash 2 and the F5 Flashpaq.

I really like both units. Software update worked fine on the PC before using them in the vehicle. The Trail Dash 2 is really cool in having various screens to monitor several things that you don't see on your dash display. I also bought the dash pod mount from them which is a Daystar unit and it's great. The F5 Flashpaq has a nice screen interface, easy to see and use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927 copy.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	658881

Last edited by bbolander; 10-14-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbolander
ALERT: I used my new Trail Dash 2 from Superchips the first time yesterday. It showed the gear ratio as 3.73. Since my 2012 Rubicon came from the factory with 4.10s I changed it to 4.10s. The Trail Dash 2 warned me not to change it if I hadn't changed gears. When I drove it I was doing 4500 rpm at 75 mph rather than 2500 and the select shift up and down on my auto didn't seem to be working. I reset to factory through the settings menu and all was fine again. I talked to Superchips tech and they said for stock the 3.73s is just a placeholder and it shouldn't be changed if you haven't actually changed gears. If the Flashpaq is the same, be forewarned.

I also bought an F5 Ford Flashpaq for my F-150. The tune select didn't include a stock w/ option choice to use for tire size change. I talked to Superchips tech and for my F-150, select the 87 octane tune then it asks if you want to customize options. When you select OK the tire size change is on the list. Don't know if its the same for the JK, but heads up just in case.

I did have a hard time determining the serial numbers at first, then learned it's the bottom number on the sticker on the back side of the unit.

In my case calling Superchips Tech early in the morning worked fine. Only one caller ahead of me and the tech knew right away what to tell me for both the Trail Dash 2 and the F5 Flashpaq.

I really like both units. Software update worked fine on the PC before using them in the vehicle. The Trail Dash 2 is really cool in having various screens to monitor several things that you don't see on your dash display. I also bought the dash pod mount from them which is a Daystar unit and it's great. The F5 Flashpaq has a nice screen interface, easy to see and use.

Attachment 658881
Good to have some hands on reviews. We had the same issue with our Rubicon. Come to find out it actually had 3.73 gears in it. It became an option to run 4.10 gears after they added the Pentastar engine (guessing all the extra power allowed that) When we loaded 4.10 gears it caused all kinds of issues and basically put the Jeep in Limp Mode. Once that was determined, it was all smooth sailin'. The Trail Dash is a slick set up. Little engine computer screen for you rig. Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadyToMount
Good to have some hands on reviews. We had the same issue with our Rubicon. Come to find out it actually had 3.73 gears in it. It became an option to run 4.10 gears after they added the Pentastar engine (guessing all the extra power allowed that) When we loaded 4.10 gears it caused all kinds of issues and basically put the Jeep in Limp Mode. Once that was determined, it was all smooth sailin'. The Trail Dash is a slick set up. Little engine computer screen for you rig. Thanks again for the input.
Thanks. It made me wonder if I actually have the 4.10's that my window sticker says!! The 4.10s were an option on the 2012 Rubicons with Pentastar and that was a must when I bought mine. It crawls and holds back like the 4:10s I had in my 2006 Rubicon so I'm happy. I know there are tests for gear ratio but no reason for me to do that since I won't change gears. I have pictures of the axle stamping and labels and there's nothing in the numbers that indicate gear ratio to me.

I'd like to see a Superchips Only thread. Had to do a lot of searching to find Superchips posts.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a f5 flashcal that I upgraded to flashpac software. It's a decent tuner for the money. Compared to the hand held tuners I used to get for mustangs these are outstanding.

Quick Reply: Flashcal Tips?