Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fixed the Teraflex BB sway bar rubbing problem

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone I am telling you the only way you will not have any more problems with the sway bar on the TF lift or any lift for that matter is to have

A: both top and bottome sway bar links mounted on the inboard side of both the sway bar and the axle mounts.

B. The bolts are small enough or flat enough to not contact the frame and/or tire.

The problem with TF is that the links will not allow them to be mounted on the axle side inboard due to the thickness of the round part of the links.

Buy the links from Northridge for 30 bucks and problem solved. Also mount your bolts with the threads pointing toward the tire, this alleviates frame contact with the bolt threads due to them sticking out furthur then the bolt head since it is flatter.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I dont have the teraflex links to know. But when we did my lift I had to put the links on the inside until I got the proper back spaced wheels, then I moved them to the outside. I had them cattywompass like yours by mistake for a little while. I dont know if it is a problem or not, just seems like they would bind a little. It is obvious that Jeep lined the connection points up on the same plane for a reason.
I agree 100 percent. Its just that the TF links would not allow them to be mounted on the same plane. That is why I bought RE1157 rear links for the JK. 30 bucks at Northridge.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
Yeah....why not just mount the link on outside?

This seems pretty screwy to me.
THEN it will contact the tire even with the spacers and or backspacing at or above 5"

EDIT: Backspacing becomes an issue for almost all who are running stock wheels or wheels with 5 inches or more back (numerically). My new wheels are tight because I wanted to keep them under the flares They are 5.75". The links were my only problem with my Frankenlift. and like many many others this was the fix. Get the new link!

Last edited by JulietKilo; 08-06-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
Yeah....why not just mount the link on outside?

This seems pretty screwy to me.
thats how my FT ones mount....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
thats how my FT ones mount....
I bet the backspacing on your wheels are probably 3.5 - 4.5? No?

This was done because of backspacing all others can just mount to the outboard.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I bet the backspacing on your wheels are probably 3.5 - 4.5? No?
yes, but if thats the issue (Back Spacing) its not really TF's fault.
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny how everyone has a fix but never backs it up with any of their own pic and proof. TF links will not mount both top and bottom links on the inside. Here is why.

Yup, on some JK that lower hole in the tab is spaced out far enough so it will clear. But there has been some JK that the hole is too close or that the hole is just fine. Links should be installed on the insided top and bottom. TeraFlex has were customers have had to drill a new hole in that tab or they ground the link some. There is a solution in the works right now.
JK Junkie

Everyone I am telling you the only way you will not have any more problems with the sway bar on the TF lift or any lift for that matter is to have

A: both top and bottome sway bar links mounted on the inboard side of both the sway bar and the axle mounts.

B. The bolts are small enough or flat enough to not contact the frame and/or tire.

The problem with TF is that the links will not allow them to be mounted on the axle side inboard due to the thickness of the round part of the links.

Buy the links from Northridge for 30 bucks and problem solved. Also mount your bolts with the threads pointing toward the tire, this alleviates frame contact with the bolt threads due to them sticking out furthur then the bolt head since it is flatter.
I see what you are saying, but mine do not bind on the axle side with them mounted on the inside. They are close, but the hole is offset enough to allow proper movement. Apperently Jeep was not very consistant with the rear sway bar link mounting holes (big suprise) and some jeeps have no problems with them in the inside and others(like yours) bind. I know people have also reported not being able to even bolt them on the inside, because the holes were to close to the bracket There was a long thread about this about a year ago. Lots of arguing and finger pointing until finally enough pics were posted to show that everyone's hole was different Way to go Jeep
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a fix for you, but my rear Teraflex swaybar links are attached on the outside both top and bottom with the bolthead facing the tire on the top and the nut facing the tire on the bottom. I haven't experienced any rubbing. My wheel backspacing is 4.75.

here are pics:

Bottom:

Top:
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Yup, on some JK that lower hole in the tab is spaced out far enough so it will clear. But there has been some JK that the hole is too close or that the hole is just fine. Links should be installed on the insided top and bottom. TeraFlex has were customers have had to drill a new hole in that tab or they ground the link some. There is a solution in the works right now.
imagine that.. Jeep not keeping things into spec...

Quick Reply: Fixed the Teraflex BB sway bar rubbing problem