Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fixed the Teraflex BB sway bar rubbing problem

Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed the Teraflex BB sway bar rubbing problem

You can see in this picture there is rubbing on the frame from the old sway bar links that teraflex lift came with. I used the shorter bolts from the TF links and RE1157 sway bar links. They allow mounting on both inside mounts. They allow the clearance for the tire and also keep the bolt off the frame.

Nearly full stuff and there is still room to get it even tighter but didnt have anything to get it even higher!

Driver side at street level.

You can see here the tire was rubbing the sway bar but with the new links it pulls the sway bar to the right and clears the tire. Also with new front and rear track bars the axle is centered and not rubbing any longer.

Right side at street level.

Clears the track bar mount with tons of room to spare.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 08-06-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is what the old one looked like. It rubbed both driver tire and frame at stuff.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this for the Teraflex 2.5 inch BB? I see your red coils in the pics and those sway bar links look long.

Where did you get your RE links and how much $ ? RE1157

What are you using on the front? I am thinking Teraflex quick disco for 0-3 inch.

Thanks for the info and the great post with pictures.

Last edited by IndianaJK; 08-06-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Here is what the old one looked like. It rubbed both driver tire and frame at stuff.

It looks like the sway bar link is mounted wrong. You used the factory bolt instead of the bolt provided and it's in the wrong direction.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IndianaJK
Is this for the Teraflex 2.5 inch BB? I see your red coils in the pics and those sway bar links look long.

Where did you get your RE links and how much $ ? RE1157

What are you using on the front? I am thinking Teraflex quick disco for 0-3 inch.

Thanks for the info and the great post with pictures.
I have a four inch lift now. I had the links for the 2.5 on there and they worked but rubbed. The links were 30 bucks from northridge4x4.com
ON the front I am using the stock rear links with the rubicon sway bar. I am however considering moving the Teraflex links from the rear to the front so I can make sure that will not be my limiting factor.

Your welcome.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
It looks like the sway bar link is mounted wrong. You used the factory bolt instead of the bolt provided and it's in the wrong direction.

Nope that is your bolt, promise. The washer makes it appear like a stock bolt but it was yours. This is only a pic of one way I tried it. It rubbed the frame worse the other way and if this is the wrong direction, the right direction makes the frame rub worse.

However, as you can see from my pics above, your bolts worked great with the RE1157 links and I no longer have any rubbing.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 08-06-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by toad
Shouldn't the link be on the inside? Also the bolt needs to be turned around and have that part sticking in on the inside so it doesn't rub.
If the threaded side of the bolt is pointing inboard it will rub the frame. It ONLY makes sense to have the flatter head of the bolt on the inboard to avoid frame rubbing. Tires never had a problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Seems like the link should be either on the inside top and bottom or on the outside top and bottom.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Its funny how everyone has a fix but never backs it up with any of their own pic and proof. TF links will not mount both top and bottom links on the inside. Here is why.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Its funny how everyone has a fix but never backs it up with any of their own pic and proof. TF links will not mount both top and bottom links on the inside. Here is why.

I dont have the teraflex links to know. But when we did my lift I had to put the links on the inside until I got the proper back spaced wheels, then I moved them to the outside. I had them cattywompass like yours by mistake for a little while. I dont know if it is a problem or not, just seems like they would bind a little. It is obvious that Jeep lined the connection points up on the same plane for a reason.

Quick Reply: Fixed the Teraflex BB sway bar rubbing problem