Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fix my thinking on lockers

Old 01-28-2021, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you checked into which lockers / limited slips will work in your "rubicon" housings? And for which shafts (spline count)? Should you choose to replace, you might end up with a smaller set of options than you think.

Also, check your local craigslist or whatever and see how much you might be able to get for a used factory locker. The price difference between selling and buying a new unit could influence your decision one way or the other.

Regarding the posts about gear-driven limited slips - (with a link to a site dedicated to racing cars on pavement?) - what I did not see mentioned is that a little brake pressure is all it takes to provide the resistance needed to transfer power. In the case of the JK, the BLD system does that automatically, no driver foot pressure needed. There have been many previous posts indicating that the system works well to augment the truetrac. I would offer a suggestion to search out more posts on the Truetrac before scratching that one off your list...

The following users liked this post:
Rich Hanner (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nthinuf makes a good point about the BLD. I did mention applying brakes to relock the LSD and you could actually approach an obstacle with the brake pedal slightly applied to keep lock up.

This thread appears to be an extensive discussion about BLD and trutracs
https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...lained.803194/

Old 01-28-2021, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

When I wheel I simply use the rear locker a lot and have my finger on the trigger to lock the front diff approaching an obstacle that I may think needs the locker then after that I unlock both and set the rear again if needed. Figure this way the diffs are not locked constantly therefore the electromagnet inside does not stay energized. Mine is 12 years old and is still original diffs, axles etc. Now with V8 and still good after the first year of wheeling. I think I can speak for all of us and say "it all depends on how hard you are on your vehicle". My vote is stay with the front stocker locker as others suggest.
doc5339 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Have you checked into which lockers / limited slips will work in your "rubicon" housings? And for which shafts (spline count)? Should you choose to replace, you might end up with a smaller set of options than you think.

Also, check your local craigslist or whatever and see how much you might be able to get for a used factory locker. The price difference between selling and buying a new unit could influence your decision one way or the other.

Regarding the posts about gear-driven limited slips - (with a link to a site dedicated to racing cars on pavement?) - what I did not see mentioned is that a little brake pressure is all it takes to provide the resistance needed to transfer power. In the case of the JK, the BLD system does that automatically, no driver foot pressure needed. There have been many previous posts indicating that the system works well to augment the truetrac. I would offer a suggestion to search out more posts on the Truetrac before scratching that one off your list...
Regarding which will fit, I think there are probably a lot of directions I can go. When I re-gear, I'm doing carriers, axles, and probably sleeves and/or gussets so I'm really only limited by what carriers will physically fit, and obviously making sure all the parts that go into it work together. The rubicon housing I have is the more recent one with J8 axle tubes if you happen to have any insight on what may or may not fit it.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Re-gear and go. You should rarely, if at all, need to use the locker. Most people I see on the trials use the locker way too much. The only reason people don't run selectable lockers is the price.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would add a rear locker or LSD while your re-gearing. You'll get the most use out of it in the rear and the cost isn't crazy to add in most cases. I only did gears at first to avoid breaking the bank, only to go back and add a rear locker later, paying for labor twice. (or 3 times in my case)

If you go off road, lockers are great to have even if you don't "need," them. I have a nice Eaton-Elocker in the rear and a LSD in the front. I choose the Eaton as the system seems less complex and costly as you don't need the air compressor set up.

Pre-pandemic I had a blast using the locker going up some sand dunes in Michigan. For me, that one instance of fun paid for the locker. To compare, a nearby JL Rubicon (only locks in 4Lo) and JK Sport that tried did not not make it up, and my anemic 3.8l nearly flew over the crest each time. Certainly driver input makes a world of difference, and I imagine those jeeps eventually conquered the hill.

I would at minimum put a EATON Limited Slip in the rear. I have had the MOPAR one and the clutches wear out very quickly, making it into an open diff, and I also had the POWERTRAX one and it ate it's own gears. You will get the benefit of the LSD one the road. That, to me is the biggest benefit to the LSD in the rear.

Rich Hanner (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I would add a rear locker or LSD while your re-gearing. You'll get the most use out of it in the rear and the cost isn't crazy to add in most cases. I only did gears at first to avoid breaking the bank, only to go back and add a rear locker later, paying for labor twice. (or 3 times in my case)

If you go off road, lockers are great to have even if you don't "need," them. I have a nice Eaton-Elocker in the rear and a LSD in the front. I choose the Eaton as the system seems less complex and costly as you don't need the air compressor set up.

Pre-pandemic I had a blast using the locker going up some sand dunes in Michigan. For me, that one instance of fun paid for the locker. To compare, a nearby JL Rubicon (only locks in 4Lo) and JK Sport that tried did not not make it up, and my anemic 3.8l nearly flew over the crest each time. Certainly driver input makes a world of difference, and I imagine those jeeps eventually conquered the hill.

I would at minimum put a EATON Limited Slip in the rear. I have had the MOPAR one and the clutches wear out very quickly, making it into an open diff, and I also had the POWERTRAX one and it ate it's own gears. You will get the benefit of the LSD one the road. That, to me is the biggest benefit to the LSD in the rear.
The OP has a rubicon and selectable lockers already.
horrocks007 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The OP has a rubicon and selectable lockers already.
Not exactly...I have a sport, with a rubicon front axle, and whatever the factory put in the back.

Quick Reply: Fix my thinking on lockers