Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FIX for loss of torque and MPG from dual exhaust

Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are scavenging effects which clear exhaust gases from the cylinders that will absolutely create a loss of power when proper exhaust velocity isn't maintained. It doesn't just change rpm power bands as we are dealing with a finite set of power produced by the engine. There is no additional power to be made by anything more than a 2.5" exhaust without some sort of forced air.

Conversely, a smaller diameter pipe will change the torque and hp curves, but will also limit high rpm power. All too often it is discussed as a matter of adding back pressure, while it's really a matter of exhaust gas speed. There is a ceiling on how much exhaust gas you can get through the pipe, and with a 2" pipe you won't make much if any additional power over 3500 rpm.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what it looks like
Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For what it is worth - I have regained my lost torque at low RPMs and I have plenty of power at higher RPMS. The acceleration is must better than stock.

I am on my second tank of gas since installing the venturi and I am averaging over 16 mpg in the city and close to 20 on the highway (20.7 to be exact).

Originally Posted by JPop
There are scavenging effects which clear exhaust gases from the cylinders that will absolutely create a loss of power when proper exhaust velocity isn't maintained. It doesn't just change rpm power bands as we are dealing with a finite set of power produced by the engine. There is no additional power to be made by anything more than a 2.5" exhaust without some sort of forced air.

Conversely, a smaller diameter pipe will change the torque and hp curves, but will also limit high rpm power. All too often it is discussed as a matter of adding back pressure, while it's really a matter of exhaust gas speed. There is a ceiling on how much exhaust gas you can get through the pipe, and with a 2" pipe you won't make much if any additional power over 3500 rpm.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is it.

Two ways to install:

1.) Cut a 3 to 4" section out of your exhast pipe and weld it in.

2.) Cut your exhaust pipe, then slide it inside the pipe, tack it, and the re-weld pipe.

I n both cases install ahead of your muffler

Originally Posted by whpony96
Here's what it looks like
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

My question is are you using a programer or a unichip?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Having a pinch point or squeezing the tube diameter for a few inches is quite different than running narrower pipe the length of the exhaust. What it does is increases velocity though that section pushes through a portion of the dead spot in the exhaust. Kind of like putting your thumb at the end of the hose to increase speed, and the scavenging effect of the venturi serves scavenging purposes on the other side.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, I am not using a programmer or unichip.

Originally Posted by whpony96
My question is are you using a programer or a unichip?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

JPop,

You may be right....but it seems to be working

Originally Posted by JPop
Having a pinch point or squeezing the tube diameter for a few inches is quite different than running narrower pipe the length of the exhaust. What it does is increases velocity though that section pushes through a portion of the dead spot in the exhaust. Kind of like putting your thumb at the end of the hose to increase speed, and the scavenging effect of the venturi serves scavenging purposes on the other side.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

I am using the Unichip on 87 pump and I am already getting 16 in town and 20 on the highway on 35's. But the unichip was tuned for the exhaust and intake. I wonder if I did this could I squeeze a bit more out of it... For 15 bucks it sure would seem worth a shot.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

gibson dual here. I def lost MPG as well as HP wonder if this would work for me?

Quick Reply: FIX for loss of torque and MPG from dual exhaust