Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fitting a D27 battery in a 2012+

Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a D27 battery in a 2012+

Never been happy with the aftermarket battery size choices for my jeep. So... I went to Batteries Plus as was checking their top of the line AGM batteries out. They are called the X2 and are made in the USA. Upon further investigation a company called Northstar Batteries makes these for Batteries Plus and seems to have excellent reviews. I stumbled across the D27 model and noticed that it has the footing to secure it down. Question is will it fit? I pulled out the old battery, the lower plastic securing tab that is mounted to the bottom of the battery box and unclipped that emissions looking canister next to the battery and put it to the side. I have a nice rectangle battery box now. First try at fitting the battery in was a bust. I had to lean the hood up against the windshield to get a little extra clearance. Second try it went right in.

Two problems now... The battery cables will not even come close to the battery and that emissions canister thingy won't clip back in place with the battery in there. Back to the drawing board...

To solve problem one, I went to Remybattery.com and ordered a set of their top post to side post connectors and side post to top post connectors. This allows me to make an "extension cord" so I need not cut the factory cables.

Solving problem 2 was easy as i wedged that canister thingy right next to the area it clips to and is secure. You will see in the pictures.

Final thoughts before I upload pics.

Specs on this battery are 55% more cold cranking amps and over double reserve capacity over the stock battery. Plus a 4 year free replacement. BTW it weighs around 70 lbs.

Why do this over a dual battery setup? Mainly cost. This cost around $330 bucks or less than half the cost of a dual set up. It was a lot easier as well. One last note, everything is secure. The wires move very little and do not pose any threats to touching the hood or anything for that matter. That other piece is secure as well.

Last edited by renegade4x4; 10-09-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Fitting a D27 battery in a 2012+