Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First winch install need advice nefore I start.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First winch install need advice nefore I start.

First time owning and installing winch looking for advice.

So I bAught a used warn 9.5 cti on craigslist a few months ago. Guy had portable receiver mount to make sure all ran good. Ran great. Only a few years old. It is the grey style.

I tore it down just a little bit to clean it up and make sure all the connections are solid. I was going to paint it but picked up a cover instead. While it has been sitting on my work bench

I baught the warn interrupt circuit and switch, and warn synthetic line and rugged ridge pillar mount, poly cover and new bolts:nuts.

So questions.
1. The manual says the grease is good for life. Or says maintance free for life. Should I mess with the grease and if so what kind? No signs of water.
2. Should I replace the wiring? It all looks good except fading. I was going to clean it up good and put reinforced heat wrap in the ends
3. Any advice for routing of winch wires and interrupt switch circuit?
4. Any advice for purring the winch back together. Like tq of bolts, lick tight and so on.
5. Any advice on installing winch line. Should I do it before or after I install. I have a receiver mount to and jumper cables to power it if live should go on before install to bumper.
6. Any other advice as far as install or preventative maintance goes?
7. Looks like the xrc bumper is pain in ass to get rear bolts. Should I take off bumper first?

Thanks for the help in advance. Doug.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey the grease should be good. I ran my wires in a plastic wire sleeve. You can get torque specs from warn on the internet if I'm sure.I wood install the winch line after install just makes it easier to rap the line. If you use a little black electrical tape on the nuts on the winch it makes it a little easier to hold the nuts in place to install the the bolt.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Red face

First, I'd recommend calling Warn customer serivice. They have a great help line with US customer service reps who will spend as much time answering your questions as you need -- even if you're not the orginal owner. They'll even send you decals for your winch for free so you can spruce up you 9.5.

1. The manual says the grease is good for life. Or says maintance free for life. Should I mess with the grease and if so what kind? No signs of water.
Unless it has been submerged, you should be good.

2. Should I replace the wiring? It all looks good except fading. I was going to clean it up good and put reinforced heat wrap in the ends.
Do a continuity test with your Ohm meter. Twist the cable around a bit when testing. If it reads good, you're OK.

5. Any advice on installing winch line. Should I do it before or after I install. I have a receiver mount to and jumper cables to power it if live should go on before install to bumper.
Do it afterwards. You want to wrap the line with a load on it (tie the end off on a hill or have someone apply brakes as you wrap it). Make sure the first wrap on the drum is tight, close, and even -- this is what holds the line on the drum. Then wrap the remaining line at a slight angle (first one way then crossways on the next wrap) ... this will help prevent the line getting caught/bound.

6. Any other advice as far as install or preventative maintance goes?
If the synthetic line gets muddy when you use it ... wash it in warm, soapy water when you get back home. This will help keep the line from becoming appraised from the dirt. Also, keep a winch cover on it ... synthetic line will break down when exposed to UV (sunlight).

All the above In My Humble Opinion (other opinions might differ )... but, hope it helps.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 11-03-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Anyone have any recommendations on where to mount interrupt switch and where to run main cables? I picked up some heater hose to run the cable through for protection.

Doug
Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
Thanks guys. Anyone have any recommendations on where to mount interrupt switch and where to run main cables? I picked up some heater hose to run the cable through for protection.

Doug
Depends on the cable length that you have but I ran my cables under the grill through a slot I cut in the little rubber flap to the passenger side of the radiator. From there I ran them under the air box (make sure they don't pinch) and then to the battery. I'm assuming your interrupt will be mounted next to your battery. I didn't use an interrupt because there is some debate as to whether it actually handles the amperage pulled by the bigger Warn winches.

Quick Reply: First winch install need advice nefore I start.