Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First Time Out... First Time Broke!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down First Time Out... First Time Broke!

So i'd like to start off with thanking all the current members of this forum for all the different write ups and tech tips and problem fixes being posted. It has greatly helped me along with my build. (Mind you this is the first vehicle I have ever worked on). Whether it be which tools you need or tricks on getting stubborn rusted parts off.

I'd like to share with you my first real break .... I spent all morning searching and not yet found another post or picture of a JK with the break. (Yay?...)

Went up north for the Long May weekend in Ontario, for a weekend of wheeling on some real trails and not just muddy trails. Somewhere along the trip I must have hit something that myself, and no one else i was with heard break. Didn't receive any warning lights or issues until this morning when I went to start it up. I saw a "gascap" warning on the dash.

Got out, checked gas cap, was good and tight. Clicked it a few more times for good measure... warning was still there. Quick google search on jk-forum said check EVAP lines. Well yeap, none of those were attached. Although EVAP appeared unscathed, but all the connections were yanked off. 45 seconds later they were all reconnected.

Start to drive off, and i was low on fuel from the 250km drive home from the trail. Stop in at the gas station 5mins down the road from my house. Tap the credit card and start to pull the trigger. I then hear a huge SPLASH. Okay wtf.... Place the gas pump back.... stare at gas pouring onto ground... take my receipt for the 93cents of gas now on the gas station floor. Nothing about this can be good.... I DROVE almost 3 hours through heavy toronto traffic so it cant be a hole in the tank, its still at 1/4 full. Head home to switch vehicles. Thankfully i have my reliable jeep patriot for DD. Park wrangler off to side of drive way and crawl underneath to see this.

Sent this photo off to all of my jeep friends to see what i'm working with. All responses consisted of "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH".... Has anyone else seen this break before? Chrysler friend says it is plastic welded, which i'm quite familiar with ultrasonic welding with plastics from my job, but i know this requires a very special welding tip to create that seal. Thankfully one friend has an extra gas tank with all the fittings i can swap in for cheap.

I just thought i'd share this with you all as i had a good laugh myself. After the tank swap it'll be on to making a custom protective skid to protect this hoses!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2015-05-20 8 50 42 AM.jpg
Views:	3888
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	611599  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would look pretty funny crawling under my jeep to fill it from there until I got it fixed that sucks
What did you hit ?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've never seen or read about a fail at that spot, so congratulations! ;-)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
x2 Never seen a break like that.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to assume you were on a logging road? A lot of tree limbs on the ground?

I was just at a off road park down here and they just had a logging company cutting trees there. Tree limbs everywhere. Constantly pulling them out from under the vehicle. One guy got his trans cooler line pulled.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Huh... That's a first ...what year JK?
Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The Black Jeep
I would look pretty funny crawling under my jeep to fill it from there until I got it fixed that sucks
What did you hit ?
Yea! I was planning on towing my lawn tractor and a whole bunch of fertilizer to work. But thought about how sketchy it would look crawling underneath to fill a "gas tank" that's hidden underneath, while i have a trailer full of bags of fertilizer and the whole interior is wired up with silly white and rgb leds so there is still colored wires everywhere.... don't wanna have a terrorism scare and we figured i kicked up a log or something going through the swamp on the way to a rock climb.

Originally Posted by SoK66
Thanks! I think I feel proud?.... lol

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
x2 Never seen a break like that.
I'll make sure to keep them coming

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
I am going to assume you were on a logging road? A lot of tree limbs on the ground?

I was just at a off road park down here and they just had a logging company cutting trees there. Tree limbs everywhere. Constantly pulling them out from under the vehicle. One guy got his trans cooler line pulled.
You would be correct! old logging road lead to the trails and some of the deep mud pits, riders and jeeps have placed substantial logs in to try and create a bridge sort of thing to make it shallower or something. Either way it makes it less fun And that's not good! you definitely want to keep an auto tranny cool when your working it on the trail hahaha

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Huh... That's a first ...what year JK?
It's an 2008 JKU unlimited X. I'll post up some pictures of it on my profile today if i get the chance.

An update to the current situation New(ish) tank acquired!
You can see the connection at the top right (white tube) is where mine sheared right off.
Now to clean it up, drop the old and put in the replacement!

It's kinda weird looking isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2015-05-20 5 36 11 PM.jpg
Views:	2435
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	611697  
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmsm
You would be correct! old logging road lead to the trails and some of the deep mud pits, riders and jeeps have placed substantial logs in to try and create a bridge sort of thing to make it shallower or something. Either way it makes it less fun And that's not good! you definitely want to keep an auto tranny cool when your working it on the trail hahaha
Yeah people think rocks do damage but logs are more likely. That are difficult to predict. They may go out to the left, right, shot out, or flip up.

This happened to me many years ago.

You think a car hit me but a log wedged between the tire and the bedside. I never even felt anything. Didn't know there was damaged till I heard over the C.B.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Yeah people think rocks do damage but logs are more likely. That are difficult to predict. They may go out to the left, right, shot out, or flip up.

This happened to me many years ago.

You think a car hit me but a log wedged between the tire and the bedside. I never even felt anything. Didn't know there was damaged till I heard over the C.B.

WOW! I can't believe how much the fender deformed like that! log Leverage is a hell of a force... hahaha

Quick Reply: First Time Out... First Time Broke!